We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our Itinerary from Loire Valley

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Our Itinerary from Loire Valley

Hi All,

We plan on spending roughly a week in Brittany after our day trip in the Loire Valley (driving from Paris - where we will be spending a week). The plan is to currently stay at Amboise before heading out to northern Brittany. As a first cut, our Itinerary is as follows. We will be driving.

Night 1) Stay at St Malo) From Amboise -> Dinan -> St Malo. (4 hour drive?)

Night 2) Stay at St Malo) Goto MSM -> St Malo.

Night 3) Stay at Perros Guirec or Treguier) St Malo -> Cap Frehel -> Perros G or Tre

Night 4) Stay at Perros Guirec or Treguier) Granite Coast Walk G34/Ploumanach

Night 5) Stay in Paris) Perros G or Treg -> Rennes -> Take TGV (The kids want to take the TGV at least once. They want to go FAST!) to Paris.

Fly out

Note: We may have 1 extra day to be able to "add in".

Note: We have 2 young kids 9 and 7. We want to try and take a less hectic approach, as to rushing through and seeing everything. I guess I want to focus on the areas of interest that will give the best "feel" for the area. As much as my wife and I would love to stop at every quaint little village, it's not possible with the 2 kids.

Questions

- Regarding #1. Would fitting in Dinan between the drive be too much? Or would we be better off using that "extra" day just for a boat ride to Dinan.

- Are we giving St Malo too little time? Technically we're just treating it as a home base and only really seeing it during "downtime" - which we should have plenty of to be honest.

- When we drive to the Granite Coast, should we 1) use Treguier as a home base or Perros Guirec? We do have 2 younger kids. PG would probably be more convenient, but we also want that smaller town feel. 2) How is the drive along the coast from St Malo? D786 I think it is?

- We will be a group of 6. How annoying would it be to find parking with a larger car/van?

- For night #5, if there was a potential stopping point along the drive from PG/Treg to Rennes, where would a nice be? I believe Moncontour is supposed to be nice

- And I know a potential additional night might mess everything up, but we don't want to change home bases more than twice. Would an extra night in St Malo to go take a boat to Dinan (if fitting in Dinan in #1 is too much) be worth it? , or maybe take a boat from St Malo to Cancale? Or maybe an extra night in Perros Guierc or Treguier to do something else - like a water play day just for the kids?

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Loire Valley
Loire Valley
Centre-Val de Loire, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Amboise
Amboise
Loire Valley, France
Saint-Malo
Saint-Malo
Ille-et-Vilaine, France
Dinan
Dinan
Cotes-d'Armor, France
Perros-Guirec
Perros-Guirec
Cotes-d'Armor, France
Treguier
Treguier
Cotes-d'Armor, France
Cap Frehel
Cap Frehel
1,030 Reviews
Saint-Brieuc, France
Rennes
Rennes
Ille-et-Vilaine, France
TGV
TGV
1,395 Reviews
Paris, France
Cancale
Cancale
Ille-et-Vilaine, France
2 replies to this topic
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
24,053 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our Itinerary from Loire Valley

Firstly, driving to Amboise from Paris, only to stay one night and subsequently driving to St Malo the next day is far too much time in a car, particularly with children. Two nights somewhere is one full day of exploration and anything less is not worth your time to drive there in the first place.

If I were planning a Loire Valley/Normandy trip, I would split the time in half spending 3 to 4 days in each location. I would also include your children in planning, which hopefully you already have. I am not sure what specific draw Upper Normandy would have for children of 7 and 9. Maybe stories about the Corsairs and St Malo but many people go to this area to visit the Allied invasion beach, museums, and maybe the tapestries of Bayeux.

I should want to plan as few continuous hours as possible in the car.

Mentioned in this post
Amboise
Amboise
Loire Valley, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Saint-Malo
Saint-Malo
Ille-et-Vilaine, France
Loire Valley
Loire Valley
Bayeux
Bayeux
Calvados, France
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Our Itinerary from Loire Valley

Thanks for your response. You know, you're right. We would be driving from Paris through the Loire to see Chambord etc, only to sleep one night at Amboise before driving another 4 hours the next day. Perhaps we'll take your advice and stay an extra night there.

At first we were split 50/50 between Normandy and Brittany, but the kids REALLY wanted to ride the TGV. To be honest, that's probably what swayed us to Brittany. Another issue is that we'd be travelling with my parents who are well travelled, but MSM is one of the sights they have not seen, so that is definitely a must. So the emerald coast and south of that is our general area that we must stick to.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Loire Valley
Loire Valley
Chambord
Chambord
Loire Valley, France
Amboise
Amboise