We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train tickets from Frankfurt to Strasbourg

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
76 posts
126 reviews
Train tickets from Frankfurt to Strasbourg

Hello, I am looking at train (or bus) tickets from Frankfurt main hbf to Strasbourg, but am wondering- do I need to book from Frankfurt MAIN or Frankfurt Main HBF? When googled they look as though they are in the same location, but have different schedules. From main there is a change in train, but I previously found one direct train through another site. Thanks in advance!

6 replies to this topic
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
1. Re: Train tickets from Frankfurt to Strasbourg

I think you might be confusing the river Main with the english word "main". When looking for trains, the city will be listed at "Frankfurt (Main)" meaning Frankfurt am Main and distinguishing it from the other Frankfurt (Oder) on the Polish border.

So Frankfurt (Main) Hbf is the central station and Frankfurt (Main) Flughafen is the airport train station (often just shown as "Frankfurt (M) Flughafen"), etc. If you just search for trains from "Frankfurt (Main)" it will show you trains from any train station in Frankfurt. If you want the central station, then search for trains from Frankfurt (Main) Hbf.

Also, for tickets to/from Germany, you should use DB's official site: bahn.com (if you're not already).

Edited: 08 November 2018, 22:39
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
7 posts
308 reviews
2. Re: Train tickets from Frankfurt to Strasbourg

I am traveling from Frankfurt to Strasbourg too so I checked all options. If you are not familiar with train systems, it might be easier for you to take Lufthansa bus from the airport to Strasbourg. Price (45 Euro one way) and duration seems similar (even less depends on what time) and you can get to the airport easily from frankfurt main station via S-bahn (similar to metro) for just a few euro. just google lufthansa bus.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
76 posts
126 reviews
3. Re: Train tickets from Frankfurt to Strasbourg

Perfect, thanks for the clarification. I need to depart from Frankfurt's main train station, so this helps a ton. Thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3,171 posts
93 reviews
4. Re: Train tickets from Frankfurt to Strasbourg

We just recently booked tickets in the opposite direction, Strasbourg to Frankfurt. They cost €84 for two first class tickets, taking less than 2 hours. Sounds much nicer than any form of bus, but then I am a train fan.

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
9,722 posts
93 reviews
5. Re: Train tickets from Frankfurt to Strasbourg

Whether you "need" to go from Hbf depends where you are starting. If you are leaving from the airport there is no need to go to Hbf as there are alternatives which avoid backtracking there.

6. Re: Train tickets from Frankfurt to Strasbourg

It's quite complicate with train, you have to change up to 3 time

I advise you to take a direct airport shuttle service from Frankfurt airport to Strasbourg City Center.

Alsace-navette.com/aeroport seems to be the best solution, since they propose an airport shuttle service since 2007

Reply to: Train tickets from Frankfurt to Strasbourg
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted