We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Strasbourg at Christmas

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Strasbourg at Christmas

Hello,

I am thinking of spending about 7 nights in Strasbourg from Dec 23-30 to see the Christmas markets and illuminations in the region. I'm thinking of taking day trips by train to Colmar and maybe Metz or Nancy.

Originally,I had considered spending a couple of nights in Strasbourg and a couple of nights in Colmar, but now I'm thinking it might be less of a hassle if I just based myself in Strasbourg. Some of the reasons for this line of thought:

* Roundtrip ticket to Strasbourg might be more convenient than open jaw from NYC to Strasbourg and return from Colmar to NYC.

* If I opted for the latter choice I'd be lugging my luggage around more.

* If I daytripped from Strasbourg, I can stay in Colmar until late and take the train back. If I don't get to see everything I want to see in Colmar, I can always visit a second day since the train ride is only around 35-40 minutes.

* If I see everything I set out to see in Strasbourg and Colmar and still have time, I can hop on the train and visit either Metz or Nancy.

Does this sound like a good plan? I'm open to any and all suggestions. Is there some other place perhaps in Germany which is not too far to visit by train? I do not plan on driving while there and so my mode of transportation will be the train.

Thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
10,098 posts
93 reviews
101 helpful votes
1. Re: Strasbourg at Christmas

You would very lucky to find a plane ticket to Strasbourg from New York and in any case it would involve a transfer somewhere. The closest airport to Colmar is Basel. The easiest solution to get to Strasbourg are to fly to CDG & take the train from that airport or to FRA & take the bus from there.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38 posts
2. Re: Strasbourg at Christmas

Thank you for your response tradeform. Yes, I've been checking airfares and it looks like I'd have to take a train from Paris or Basel, for the final leg to Strasbourg. I'm not sure that's something I want to do after a long transatlantic flight!I am now reconsidering my decision to travel to Strasbourg for the Christmas markets. I haven't totally given up the idea but I might also consider going somewhere else in Europe.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38 posts
3. Re: Strasbourg at Christmas

I am coming to Strasbourg!! I am flying into CDG since that was cheaper and then I will take a train from Paris to Strasbourg the following day. Hoping to visit Colmar while there.

I haven't booked my accommodations as yet since I want to get my roundtrip train tickets from Paris to Strasbourg and Strasbourg-Paris. I checked the trainline.eu and oui.sncf websites but wasn't able to get any information on the trains. Does anyone know if there is frequent train service from Paris to Strasbourg on Christmas day or whether the service would be limited? Any input on this would be much appreciated!

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
10,090 posts
5 reviews
4 helpful votes
4. Re: Strasbourg at Christmas

The train service on Christmas Day approximates to a Sunday service although in the case of TGVs the afternoon/evening service tends to be thinner as the Sunday service is augmented to cater for people returning after a weekend. The train timetable changes in early December so they may be late posting services over Christmas and the New Year.

Don't forget that in Alsace, unlike the rest of France, December 26 is also a public holiday.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38 posts
5. Re: Strasbourg at Christmas

Thank you, Becasse!ChrisCran in another post states that the train schedule for December will be released on October 11th. So, that's good to know.

Will the Christmas Markets in Strasbourg be open on December 26th? What are some places that'll be open? Will the food stalls in the train station be open? Just wondering... in case the markets and restaurants are closed ... got to find food somewhere😉.

Strasbourg, France
2 posts
6. Re: Strasbourg at Christmas

Hi !

If you are looking for a nice thing to do during your stay in Strasbourg, have a look to the Christmas Food Tour : https:/…

Do not hesitate if you have any question, I can help :)

Reply to: Strasbourg at Christmas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Strasbourg