We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

top ten places in France

sydney
Level Contributor
336 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
top ten places in France

I.m looking at going to France at the end of next year & I would like to get some advise on the top ten most visited place in France. We are thinking of basing ourselves in Paris and we are hopefully staying for just over two & half weeks & would love to see a few more places if possible especally bit of history any help would be great

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: top ten places in France

If you were to try for a similar list with Australia, you would probably come up with: Sydney Harbour, Ayers Rock, the Gold Coast etc etc and would soon realise that would lead to an insane itinerary with far too much travelling in too short a time. It's the same for France, even if the distances are shorter. I recommend that you get a guidebook to France from your local library and start making a list of places you'd like to see. Be aware that you will be visiting in winter when the daylight hours will be shorter and places such as the Breton coast will probably appear less attractive than larger towns or the Alps. That would be a much better use of your time than finding out where US or Japanese tourists get bussed to.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,108 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: top ten places in France

I remember planning our first visit to France (apart from Paris) and looking at the maps and guide books and thinking "But I know NOTHING about these places"

However, over months and far too many guide books (I love them) we developed itineraries for touring. The first time was around Provence, then up through the centre to Paris. Later trips have taken in many parts of France and we have not regretted any of it. You could stick a pin in a map and find somewhere beautiful and delicious to stay.

Be aware that many train lines radiate from Paris, using the TGV (very fast trains) so you could be in Avignon from Paris in about 3 hours. Cross country is not so well served. In a number of places, outside of cities where you intend to stay, transport is not so good and a hire car may help.

Decide on what sort of place you want, city, town, big village, tiny village, somewhere in the grapevines away from everywhere. Country, town, seaside, raw coast, historic coast (maybe WWI or WWII) some of the "Most beautiful villages of France" (see your library) vineyards, chateaux and castles, gardens and volcanoes, ancient aqueducts and modern viaducts.

For what it is worth, have a look at our website which has several trips in France (as well as other places) Just be aware that three weeks or so is very little time, so choose one or two accessible areas and really enjoy them.

www.nickbooth.id.au

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,227 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: top ten places in France

Forget about the ten most visited places in France. They are not necessarily the most interesting: just the ones mentioned in all the guide books.

In may experience, based on staying in 35 different places in France, almost anywhere will have an interesting history and would be an enjoyable place to stay.

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,573 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: top ten places in France

[would like to get some advise on the top ten most visited place in France]

Somehow I suspect you don't mean that because the most visited place in France is Disneyland Paris, and ParcAsterix and Futuroscope are also in the list of top ten:

francethisway.com/tourism/top-places-france.…

As previous posters have said, it really is best to make your own list based on what YOU would like. If you prefer more visual information than guidebooks and information websites usually provide, have a look also at other media such as travel videos on youtube, photographic sites like flickr, and google images to help you decide, plus of course the nickbooth website mentioned in post 2 which has many great photos, and other TA resources and trip reports.

Enjoy your planning and your trip.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: top ten places in France

Hi there

The areas along the Canal du Midi are in my top ten and I cant wait to get back there to do some more exploring.

Kind Regards

Merran

6. Re: top ten places in France

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 11:47