We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transponder / Liber-t tag for the French toll roads

Leicester, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Transponder / Liber-t tag for the French toll roads

For anyone travelling on the French toll roads, I'd thoroughly recommend getting a Liber-t tag from http://www.saneftolling.co.uk . We've just got back from Nice and it saved us loads of time on the autoroutes. The look on the faces of French motorists as we cruised down the automated 30kph Liber-t lanes was priceless. They obviously thought we had gone down the wrong lane but when the barrier lifted and we sailed through we were the ones laughing! We had a tag a few years ago that we got from Sanef in France but to get a new one in France you now need to have a French bank account - they are still allowing existing customers to pay by credit card but the doors are closed to new subscribers and payment by credit card is due to be phased out altogether by the end of 2012. The Sanef UK service requires you to pay from a UK bank account by direct debit.

I ordered a tag late Tuesday afternoon and it arrived Wednesday morning - I can't praise Sanef UK enough for their customer service as it has been excellent. We're off to Bordeaux in September so will definitely be using it again.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Bordeaux
Bordeaux
Gironde, France
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
603 Reviews
US$ 75 per adult
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
663 Reviews
US$ 49 per adult
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,250 Reviews
US$ 104 per adult
80 replies to this topic
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
14,787 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transponder / Liber-t tag for the French toll roads

That's an excellent idea for anyone with a UK bank account.

However, for those with a French bank account, the Alis telepeage tag/doofer is totally free of charge (other than your tolls oif course!) whether using it or not . They are also very quick and helpful; this person will happily help by email:

c.zurkinden@alis-sa.com

They can save a lot of time especially in holiday periods, and even saves getting the arm wet when using a credit card in rain, which is what we used to do before Alis.

Edited: 15 July 2011, 20:27
Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,915 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transponder / Liber-t tag for the French toll roads

I've had mine for 9 years and just pay 2€ for the months when I use it. This one is paid out of a French bank account. It has been so useful and convenient especially when I am on my own.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,813 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transponder / Liber-t tag for the French toll roads

I am sure there are long queues at some stations but in reality the longest we ever waited this last trip, driving from Avignon area westwards, up through the Loire, Brittany, Normandy and into Paris was about 1 minute and we always chose a staffed booth and paid cash as our chipped Australian bank cards require a signature in France (but a PIN in Italy, Switzerland etc, go figure)

Mentioned in this post
Avignon
Avignon
Vaucluse, France
Loire Valley
Loire Valley
Centre-Val de Loire, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
France
France
Europe
Italy
Italy
Europe
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
14,787 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transponder / Liber-t tag for the French toll roads

Yes, there really are long queues at some points, although we see less of the main summer queues now we no longer have to stick with trips during the main summer holidays. However, we still see some long queues on our runs from the channel tunnel to the south of france three times each year, plus at times when just going out for the day during our time in France, which does include times such as February half-term, Easter and up to mid-July.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,915 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transponder / Liber-t tag for the French toll roads

Lynn - There are very long queues at times, not where you were, but if you are on the A6 (route south) and on the routes to the mountains in Winter. We have been caught in tailbacks just trying to get to the dedicated booths. Like Gardengirlie, we drive this route 2 or 3 times every year.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,813 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transponder / Liber-t tag for the French toll roads

Point taken.

Falmouth, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transponder / Liber-t tag for the French toll roads

Late coming to this thread I know but I've just got one for my trip next month. Looks like it will save a lot of hassle!

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
2,003 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transponder / Liber-t tag for the French toll roads

Is this new facility about a year old? Very tempted to buy a TAG as we will be travelling on Black Saturday and would easily face a number of 1 hr lomg queues.

However, I would hate to find that the long queues of Brits move over from the cash queues to the TAG queues (just like the self check in queues at airports)

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transponder / Liber-t tag for the French toll roads

It's over a year old but not many Brits appear to have cottoned on yet and most French drivers also still seem to use the cash/card lanes instead.

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
2,003 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transponder / Liber-t tag for the French toll roads

Remember that when there are long queues at peages during the busiest August weekends (last year we faced 40 - 60 min queues in Northern France) then the TAG will not help you jump the queue until you are close to the peage. The tailbacks often stretch a few miles back on the motorway. In these circumstances the TAG might only save you 10 mins.

I would be hopping mad if I had paid the significant start up costs for a TAG and then had to wait 30 - 50 mins on the motorway before I could use it!

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Reply to: Transponder / Liber-t tag for the French toll roads
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted