We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in France (Paris) - Is mid december a good period?

Kristiansand, Norway
Level Contributor
13 posts
23 reviews
Honeymoon in France (Paris) - Is mid december a good period?

Hey Guys.

I am getting married in December and would like to have my honeymoon in France, preferring Paris. I am planning a period around 18th to 26th December. Is this period a good choice as far as the weather in Paris is concerned to visit major attractions. I don't want any hiccups in my trip as this will be the very first outing with my wife and I want things to go smooth :) You all know how much importance a honeymoon keeps! I myself live in Europe so I am habitual of cold weather but my wife will be experiencing it for the first time. Please suggest with appropriate and genuine response. I would highly appreciate your advice here.

Special Offer
Big Bus Paris Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
1,903 Reviews
from US$ 39.60*
US$ 44.00
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,295 Reviews
from US$ 109.90*
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
England
Level Contributor
702 posts
19 reviews
1. Re: Honeymoon in France (Paris) - Is mid december a good period?

Welcome to TA.

I think of all the places you have enquired about on TA (Paris, Switzerland, Italy), I would choose Paris. Winter in Europe, you will almost certainly have some cloudy days and rain (or snow in the Alps), but whether the temperature is above or below freezing - who knows? If you want the warmest weather head South to the Med, Italy or Spain, but it is still off season, and you are unlikely to want to spend much time sitting on the beach.

The attraction of Paris is there are so many places to go and so many things to do indoors, plus with the excellent RATP transport (metro and buses), you don't need to get too wet or cold and you can adjust your plans for the day according to the weather. Nor is it primarily a tourist destination, so all the shops, restaurants and most of the attractions will be open and buzzing in the run up to Christmas.

It also depends what kind of holiday you want, but if food and culture are top priorities, you can't beat Paris at any time of the year.

Edited: 31 July 2010, 18:59
Kristiansand, Norway
Level Contributor
13 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: Honeymoon in France (Paris) - Is mid december a good period?

Thanks dear. Its a useful info. I am really kinda confused where to go so need to plan everything n kill my confusions. People also suggests i.e. since she ll b living in Europe, i should avoid going within Europe for Honeymoon. This really drives me nuts :)

England
Level Contributor
702 posts
19 reviews
3. Re: Honeymoon in France (Paris) - Is mid december a good period?

Well, you can look at a Honeymoon in one of two ways and choose accordingly:

- A once-in-a-lifetime, no-expense-spared opportunity to do something disconnected from reality, that you can plan to the n-th degree in an attempt to make the first week or so of marriage “perfect”. You can almost guarantee that the rest of your marriage will not be quite so idyllic.

- A chance to get used to spending time together 24x7, learning to cooperate and practice making “win-win” decisions about some relatively trivial matters (like what activity / museum / concert / restaurant?), before settling down to the hard graft of married life – domestic routine, jobs, children, housing, etc.

From what you have said, I would have thought the Honeymoon period is the perfect opportunity to acclimatize your partner to the weather and lifestyle (including Christmas holidays) in Europe, and get ready for your own lives together in that environment.

The alternative of flying off to some tropical paradise for a week, only to land at a dark, cold, rainy airport in Norway, doesn’t sound like the best induction to me.

Returning to the purpose of TA, I’ve read the posts on the other European destinations, and they are all good suggestions, if you are prepared to compromise on the weather.

If you are torn between Paris and Switzerland, you could also consider Austria. Vienna is a beautiful cultural city, smaller than Paris, and you will get some stunning Alpine conditions in other parts of this Eurozone country.

Kristiansand, Norway
Level Contributor
13 posts
23 reviews
4. Re: Honeymoon in France (Paris) - Is mid december a good period?

Yeah this certainly helps. Thanks a ton. I just totally went banana with all crazy suggestions from my friends.

England
Level Contributor
702 posts
19 reviews
5. Re: Honeymoon in France (Paris) - Is mid december a good period?

Good, I'm glad that halped. And remember the best suggestons from your friends for your anniversaries together. A Honeymoon should not be the highlight of your lives together and it's then downhill all the way .... .

Boston...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
6. Re: Honeymoon in France (Paris) - Is mid december a good period?

I was born in Paris and spent good part of my lifetime there or close by.

What is good with Paris is that almost regardless of the season you can enjoy it.

There are so many things to do and visit which are indoor (museums, monuments or simply having an espresso with croissant in the morning in a cafe ?).

If you want however to walk or take a cycle (velib : very cheap cycle for rent) December may not be the best season. Starting from october until march we have to experience a "tunnel" of clouds and grey skys. Not always raining and rarely snowing but it is a little bit depressing after a while (I live now near Boston and it is much colder here with way more snow but we can see the sun pretty often unlike in Paris).

Everything depends at the end of the day wih what type of activity you want to do.

If it rains you may miss one of my favourite activity in life which is just to wander in the streets of Paris with no aim. No city is even close to Paris when it comes to the beauties of the monuments, building, homogeneous architecture. I should add that if the rain is light, you may still enjoy a good walk. The city is so beautiful that every different weather changes the perspective and brings a new experience. If it rains too much and the temperature are too low, this is another story of course (I think the average for that season should be around 5 to 10 degree celsius. Not that bad but it can also be close to 0 or below. This is quite rare in mid december. More a january or february type of weather)

You shall still enjoy other parts of the life there on the other hand which are still enjoable and absolutely unique.

Though I have never been in a hotel in Paris (!) I think all fares in mid december should still be Ok before the high season of christmas. This can be also good to know.

good luck in your choice !

alexis

Edited: 01 August 2010, 23:07
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,648 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Honeymoon in France (Paris) - Is mid december a good period?

While I don't know where your wife is from, you might want to consider someplace that is warm for your honeymoon.

How about someplace in the Carribean?

There are lots of wonderful sites that are not huge hotel complexes, and would be perfect for super special honeymoon. You might want to check out Palm Island in the Grenadines

Edited: 02 August 2010, 05:06
Essex
Level Contributor
31,999 posts
69 reviews
8. Re: Honeymoon in France (Paris) - Is mid december a good period?

In Paris in December you will find the nights are dark and long.....Hmm, might be ideal for a Honeymoon eh??

9. Re: Honeymoon in France (Paris) - Is mid december a good period?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2011, 13:01