We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

quaint town near Swiss border

Arlington...
Level Contributor
69 posts
11 reviews
quaint town near Swiss border

My husband and I are going to be spending 3-4 weeks in Switzerland this fall. I've considered taking a day trip (and/or spending a night) in France if there is a town that would really be worth seeing. We'll be concentrating our time in the southwestern portion of Switzerland. Is there a town that would give us a sense of experiencing something special about France, as well as being located within an hour or two of the Swiss border? I am not necessarily looking for a touristy location, just a nice place that might give us something different than we could find in the French area of Switzerland.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
84 reviews
1. Re: quaint town near Swiss border

Try Annecy, a very pretty little town on a lake.

Arlington...
Level Contributor
69 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: quaint town near Swiss border

Thanks for the suggestion of Annecy! It looks like a very pretty town.

Does anyone else have any thoughts? I may have made a mistake by saying we'll be in the SW part of France. We'll be traveling from Bern to Geneva to Zermatt, so there's quite a bit of France to consider.

We don't speak any French-will that be a problem? Also, we're vegetarians. We're happy to stick to bread, cheese, pastries, & wine. As we'd only be in the area for a day, I'm hoping the food won't be an issue.

3. Re: quaint town near Swiss border

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 24 November 2015, 01:22
Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
4. Re: quaint town near Swiss border

yes Annecy is a suggestion it's a small town, the lake is beuatifull. You can also go from Geneva to Lyon (rent a car or take the train), the old Lyon is very pleasant to visit ...Bourg en bresse not really interesting ...Megève could also be an alternative, it's a well known mountain station ...

London
Level Contributor
290 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: quaint town near Swiss border

Having read your more specific itinerary, I would still suggest Annecy. It will take you only an hour to drive from Geneva and it's easy to get the feel of the place in a day - it's a beautiful town, though, yes, Lakes and mountains are the dominant scenery. There is a range of restaurants and for a vegetarian, you could have a cheese speciality dish (though you'll probably have enough of them in Switzerland) - especially something made with Reblochon, the local cheese ... avoid tartiflette as it usually has lardons (bacon bits) in it ... but often they offer a Reblochon tart or some other concoction - best thing is just to ask - especially in the restaurants in Annecy which is a major, but still beautiful tourist city, most restaurants have someone that speaks at least 'food English', so just specify no meat/no fish etc.

By the way, you didn't say if you had a car - trains to Annecy from Geneva are very long-winded, if you aren't driving, then check out the buses from the bus station, this will be faster.

Lyon would be the best choice to visit a really big and important French city, but I would recommend taking the train as you don't want to have a car in such a big city and if possible spend a night.

6. Re: quaint town near Swiss border

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 18:50