We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris to Chablis

Sussex, UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Paris to Chablis

Hi there

We're thinking about going to Chablis next month to visit some friends. The recommendation is that we get a car to make the most of the region.

We'd like to get the Eurostar to Paris to save some of the driving but then want to hire a car.

I'm a little worried about hiring a car in PAris and then being able to get out of Paris, and back in to drop the car off.

Any thoughts on better options?

Perhaps a train from the Eurostar terminal to somewhere outside of Paris to pick up the car?

Any ideas welcomed!

Thanks

Special Offer
Big Bus Paris Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
1,897 Reviews
from US$ 39.70*
US$ 44.10
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,294 Reviews
from US$ 110.20*
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
London
Level Contributor
290 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Paris to Chablis

Eurostar to Lille might well be easier, and you may be able to get a connecting train somewhere even closer, but it would be pretty easy to drive from Lille to Chablis.

Bradford, Yorkshire
Level Contributor
575 posts
49 reviews
2. Re: Paris to Chablis

Having a car is a good move.

Driving out of and into central Paris I would avoid.

The suggestion of Lille is sensible, leaving about a 4 hr drive.

Don't know where you are in Sussex but mid point is only about 4 hrs from Lille, with a relaxation break while crossing the channel. How long will trains take?

Why not drive? Even if the short English side is a hassle the the French side, via Reims, is mostly uncrowded.

If it's too far in a day choose a town to visit en route and stay overnight.

Sussex, UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Paris to Chablis

Thanks for these ideas! I am still considering driving the whole way, but am tempted ot stay in Paris for a few days either side of the trip to Chablis hence the attempt to see about car hire from Paris or near.

Anyone any ideas of where I might be able to hire a car from either on the outskirts or a train ride away from Paris (going in the direction of Chablis preferably)?

Many thanks for your help...

Sussex, UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
4. Re: Paris to Chablis

Any other ideas - all suggestions appreciated!

London
Level Contributor
290 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Paris to Chablis

Auxerre is the largest town near Chablis and I believe AVIS have an office there ... it's about 2 hours train ride from Paris with one change at Laroche-Mine.

Sussex, UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
6. Re: Paris to Chablis

Many thanks, I'll look into the Auxerre option...

7. Re: Paris to Chablis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 17:49