We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend reccomendations in French/Swiss Countryside

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend reccomendations in French/Swiss Countryside

I am travelling between Lausanne and the Netherlands by train. Looking for Weekend stopover accessible by train on the way. Departing lunch time on Friday, I do not need to arrive in Netherlands until late Sunday. Any suggestions for single older traveller (50+). Quaint villages/markets and scenic views are what I am looking for?

Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
672 Reviews
from US$ 75.20*
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
728 Reviews
from US$ 48.90*
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,279 Reviews
from US$ 103.80*
1 reply
Marlow, United...
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend reccomendations in French/Swiss Countryside

Seem to be a flurry of Aussies on here today looking for recommendations for "villages". Don't know if there's been a TV programme in Oz to prompt this sudden interest but villages tend to be small with little to do - you have lunch and that's it - you're done. Furthermore, not many of them are served by train lines.

The route from Lausanne to NL by train seems to pass by Geneva, Lyon and Paris. Assuming you don't want to look at the same views you have in Lausanne that excludes most of the Swiss villages en route. The TGV between Lyon and Paris tends to make one intermediate stop at most, and the Thalys from Paris to NL tends to stop only at Lille. So you need to pick a detour from either Lyon or Paris. From Lyon - maybe Beaune or Perouges. From Paris - Chantilly? Soissons? Amiens? - none of these places (except Perouges) are villages but they are smaller towns with markets and (crucially) enough to occupy a tourist for a day.

If you decide to do this, you will need to book separate tickets for the Lausanne - pretty place leg and the pretty-place - NL leg.

Reply to: Weekend reccomendations in French/Swiss Countryside
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted