We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A week in a French Village

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
A week in a French Village

We'll be spending 3 weeks in France in May 2019, flying into Paris where we will spend the first week, to continue our love affair with the city! After that we plan to hire a car and explore some countryside but not sure yet whether we will head north of Paris or south. During our time on the road we would like to stay 5/6/7 days in what we think of as a typical French village, somewhere small with a couple of cafes, a restaurant or two, a market, and lovely old buildings like we don't have in Australia, and maybe some other towns nearby we can go to on day trips. I realise there are millions of options but when you've only ever been to Paris, its hard to just pick a spot in the countryside. Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thank you in advance.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
24 replies to this topic
Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
8,467 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A week in a French Village

Your description does not match a "typical" French village which will have none of those things.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A week in a French Village

Can you tell me then what a "typical" French village would have?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,840 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A week in a French Village

I think that it's time to read a few guidebooks to help you decide which region of France you would like to visit.

There many villages like you describe in France.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Marlow, United...
Level Contributor
5,565 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A week in a French Village

What #3 said. I could give you 2 entirely random examples which fit your criteria - Maintenon in the Eure-et-Loire region just southwest of Paris, or Cassel in the Nord Departement in French Flanders, but there are thousands of others all over France, and a great deal depends on what sort of countryside you want to see, and how far you want to travel.

Edited: 07 August 2018, 14:19
Mentioned in this post
Maintenon
Maintenon
Eure-et-Loir, France
Eure
Eure
Haute-Normandie, France
Loire Valley
Loire Valley
Centre-Val de Loire, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Cassel
Cassel
Nord, France
Nord
Nord
Hauts-de-France, France
Flanders
Flanders
Belgium
France
France
Europe
Rambouillet, France
Level Contributor
5,220 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A week in a French Village

Quick math appears you need 2 or more villages to fill in 2 weeks of time, correct?

Also, is flying out of another city an option for you?

Grenoble, France
Level Contributor
1,983 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A week in a French Village

Most historic villages will have one café and/or restaurant, a bakery, some artisan shops. And like it's been said there are hundreds of them. Near Paris you'll have Lyons la Forêt, Veules les Roses, Gerberoy, La Roche Guyon... But many more if you take a TGV to a large city then rent a car. Looks at this website for inspiration : http://www.france-beautiful-villages.org/en

You mainly need to think about what you want : countryside, ocean, mountain, lake... Do you want a medieval village, or something open, do you want a hilly steep site or a flat village, do you want a river, a mill, maybe a gorge...Does it need to be isolated and tranquil, or rather busy with more shops...

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Roses
Roses
Costa Brava, Spain
Gerberoy
Gerberoy
Oise, France
La Roche-Guyon
La Roche-Guyon
Val-d'Oise, France
aberdeen
Level Contributor
604 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A week in a French Village

Try this:

http://www.france-beautiful-villages.org/en

Although not necessarily "typical" , you might get some ideas about what you want.

Edited: 07 August 2018, 15:27
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A week in a French Village

AdventureToursFrance - Our plan was roughly a week in the one village, then some travelling around for the rest of the time. Wherever we end up, we then need to fly/train to Rome from where we fly home.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Rambouillet, France
Level Contributor
5,220 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A week in a French Village

Sounds like a plan. Maybe Venice then..?

I was in a village yesterday that might fit your criteria: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotignac

Really enchanted place surrounded by vineyards. Rosé. Was thinking about buying a case from Château Carpe Diem.)

Read up on the driving rules here. Maybe youtube..

Bonne route

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Carpe Diem
Carpe Diem
479 Reviews
Dijon, France
Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,840 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A week in a French Village

ATF, I was just in Cotignac too from July 19 - 26. I certainly drank my share of Rosé while I was there.

Mentioned in this post
Cotignac
Cotignac
Var, France
Reply to: A week in a French Village
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted