We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A week in a French Village

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
A week in a French Village

We'll be spending 3 weeks in France in May 2019, flying into Paris where we will spend the first week, to continue our love affair with the city! After that we plan to hire a car and explore some countryside but not sure yet whether we will head north of Paris or south. During our time on the road we would like to stay 5/6/7 days in what we think of as a typical French village, somewhere small with a couple of cafes, a restaurant or two, a market, and lovely old buildings like we don't have in Australia, and maybe some other towns nearby we can go to on day trips. I realise there are millions of options but when you've only ever been to Paris, its hard to just pick a spot in the countryside. Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thank you in advance.

Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
Special Offer
Big Bus Paris Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
1,840 Reviews
from US$ 38.10*
US$ 43.80
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
27 replies to this topic
Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
9,303 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: A week in a French Village

Your description does not match a "typical" French village which will have none of those things.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: A week in a French Village

Can you tell me then what a "typical" French village would have?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
18,083 posts
20 reviews
3. Re: A week in a French Village

I think that it's time to read a few guidebooks to help you decide which region of France you would like to visit.

There many villages like you describe in France.

Marlow, United...
Level Contributor
5,751 posts
26 reviews
4. Re: A week in a French Village

What #3 said. I could give you 2 entirely random examples which fit your criteria - Maintenon in the Eure-et-Loire region just southwest of Paris, or Cassel in the Nord Departement in French Flanders, but there are thousands of others all over France, and a great deal depends on what sort of countryside you want to see, and how far you want to travel.

Edited: 07 August 2018, 14:19
Rambouillet, France
Level Contributor
5,413 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: A week in a French Village

Quick math appears you need 2 or more villages to fill in 2 weeks of time, correct?

Also, is flying out of another city an option for you?

Grenoble, France
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
92 reviews
6. Re: A week in a French Village

Most historic villages will have one café and/or restaurant, a bakery, some artisan shops. And like it's been said there are hundreds of them. Near Paris you'll have Lyons la Forêt, Veules les Roses, Gerberoy, La Roche Guyon... But many more if you take a TGV to a large city then rent a car. Looks at this website for inspiration : http://www.france-beautiful-villages.org/en

You mainly need to think about what you want : countryside, ocean, mountain, lake... Do you want a medieval village, or something open, do you want a hilly steep site or a flat village, do you want a river, a mill, maybe a gorge...Does it need to be isolated and tranquil, or rather busy with more shops...

aberdeen
Level Contributor
625 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: A week in a French Village

Try this:

http://www.france-beautiful-villages.org/en

Although not necessarily "typical" , you might get some ideas about what you want.

Edited: 07 August 2018, 15:27
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: A week in a French Village

AdventureToursFrance - Our plan was roughly a week in the one village, then some travelling around for the rest of the time. Wherever we end up, we then need to fly/train to Rome from where we fly home.

Rambouillet, France
Level Contributor
5,413 posts
17 reviews
9. Re: A week in a French Village

Sounds like a plan. Maybe Venice then..?

I was in a village yesterday that might fit your criteria: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotignac

Really enchanted place surrounded by vineyards. Rosé. Was thinking about buying a case from Château Carpe Diem.)

Read up on the driving rules here. Maybe youtube..

Bonne route

Paris, France
Level Contributor
18,083 posts
20 reviews
10. Re: A week in a French Village

ATF, I was just in Cotignac too from July 19 - 26. I certainly drank my share of Rosé while I was there.

Reply to: A week in a French Village
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted