We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One week solo in France

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
59 reviews
One week solo in France

I’ll be spending one week solo in France in September. I’m flying in and out of Paris, so want to ensure if I venture out of Paris (which I’d like to for a few days), it’s easy enough to get back. I’ll be staying in hostels and using public transit to get around (won’t be renting a car). I’ve never been to Paris before, but have visited Avignon, Nice, and Marseille. I’d like to spend a few days in Paris, but aside from that I’m looking for recommendations for places I should visit outside of Paris for the remainder of my trip. I’m an easy going traveler- open to wine tasting, sight seeing, hikes, etc. Would anyone recommend a specific city/region for me to visit?

1 reply
Grenoble, France
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
93 reviews
1. Re: One week solo in France

The obvious choice would be Alsace, since you can take the train to Strasbourg, then Colmar. Hiking with no car is seriously limited though. Another option is Lyon and Grenoble. From Grenoble, there are buses to Col de Porte (in the Chatreuse mountains) or Villard de Lans (in the Vercors mountains) from which you can do some good hiking. Briançon is also a stunning area, and the bus stops at La Grave where there is lots to do in the mountains as well. It all depends on what you mean by "few days". If it's like 3, do Alsace or just Lyon. If it's 5, you can hit the mountains.

Reply to: One week solo in France
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted