We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New to metro travel,and have some questions

4 posts
New to metro travel,and have some questions

Hi,

I'll be in Paris for two weeks on a course(it's my first international trip,so I'm very clueless),I'll be using the metro from the course's centre to my apartment. I've got zero experience in using public transports,so my questions are(I know they're very stupid,so excuse me):

1-Is the Paris metro safe at any time of the day?,what should I watch out for?

2-What is overall the least crowded time to use it?

3-One ticket is one way or a return?

4-Do you recommend buying a carnet or a navigo cart(I'll be taking the metro for 5 days a week in this period of two weeks),if i get a carnet is it time restricted,or can i use any time I'd like?

5-I'll be mostly going from line 14 and line 2,from my searches(the host didn't mention this line),I can take line 6 as a direct line between them,is that correct?

Unrelated question:but do dollars work fine as euros,or it will be somewhat troubling to use them?

Edited: 06 August 2018, 23:46
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
684 Reviews
from US$ 74.00*
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
743 Reviews
from US$ 48.10*
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,283 Reviews
from US$ 111.60*
2 replies to this topic
Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
9,079 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: New to metro travel,and have some questions

Dollars work as well in Paris as pieces of paper with "money" written on them - in other words, not at all.

One ticket is one single journey but covers changes within the system. You must retain your ticket for possible inspection until you regain the street at the far end of your journey, if you are "controlled" (a frequent occurrence) and cannot produce the correct ticket you will be heavily fined.

A carnet is just a (cheaper) wad of 10 tickets which you use up in the normal way - it is not only cheaper but will save you from constantly having to buy a ticket (but don't get the unused tickets from the carnet muddled up with the ticket for your current journey). The tickets in the carnet will remain usable until the ticketing system is changed in the next year or two.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
28,839 posts
95 reviews
2. Re: New to metro travel,and have some questions

Navigo Decouverte passes run from Mon-Sun of a single week. If you are there a couple of weeks and using the metro then it is almost certainly the best product to purchase.

Here is a map of the system: you can get a free paper one when you arrive

http://metromap.fr/en

Here is the route tracker. http://metromap.fr/en

If you are trying it out on another continent from Paris be sure that you have adjusted the time for day time in Paris.

You probably need to get a guidebook for Paris since you are asking questions like 'do they use dollars'; you need to know a bit more about the city and how things work. also review the rules for polite interactions in France -- proper greetings and such are crucial for making your way in the city effectively.

The metro is safe all hours.

Reply to: New to metro travel,and have some questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted