We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

southern france / italy trip need help !!

Oakville, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
southern france / italy trip need help !!

Hello everyone,

I am new to this and have never posted in a forum but I require much help. I have 2 parts the the help I am asking for Part 1:

I am arriving this Friday august 10 at 8:45 am in Paris and taking the 12:30 TGV train direct to cannes where I have booked a 7 night stay at:

Hôtel Le Canberra - Hôtels Ocre et Azur, Cannes.

I am travelling with my husband and 2 kids ages13 and 4. While staying in cannes, I hope to make day trips along the French Riveria to; Marsailles, St. Tropez, Nice and Monaco. My family loves the beach/pool, eating good food and visiting quaint towns. I am also hoping my son and I can squeeze in a french cooking lesson in one of these places. I have not booked anything other then the flights train and the cannes hotel.

Any guidance that could be provided in terms of an itinerary for these 7 days, as well tips would be much appreciated. The hotel in cannes I do not think offers parking so therefore I don't think it will be possible to rent a car?

Part 2 - We will be catching a flight out of Nice back to paris on Aug 23 and therefore have a whole 2nd week to spend on vacation. I have no idea what or where to go the second week of our trip once we check out of the cannes hotel the morning of august 16. We therefore have to figure out what and where we are going from Aug 16 - aug 23 (we will be returning to nice aug 23 to catch our flight back to paris)

My initial thought was to go into Italy and stay there ? but not sure which city and where to stay as we don't want the train ride from Cannes into Italy to be more then 3 or 4 hours. We have already been to portifino and santa marguerita last summer.

ANY suggestions would be MUCH appreciated.

Please help as I am on a time crunch to book accommodations for aug 16 - 23 part of the trip before we leave this week.

xo/anita

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Hotel Le Canberra
Hotel Le Canberra
712 Reviews
Cannes, France
Hotel Azur
Hotel Azur
284 Reviews
Marseille, France
Cannes
Cannes
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
Saint-Tropez
Saint-Tropez
Monaco
Monaco
Europe
Italy
Italy
Europe
Hotel Villa Lara
Hotel Villa Lara
#1 of 22 hotels in Bayeux
Maison Souquet
Maison Souquet
#1 of 1,816 hotels in Paris
Le Bristol Paris
Le Bristol Paris
#2 of 1,816 hotels in Paris
6 replies to this topic
aberdeen
Level Contributor
604 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: southern france / italy trip need help !!

Tricky one.

Given you circumstances, I would be tempted to spend the first half of your holiday around the Cote D'Azur based in Cannes. Plenty to do there - Antibes, Nice, Villefranche, etc etc, including St Tropez if you must.

I would then head west to spend the second week in Western Provence, possibly based in, near Cassis/ La Ciotat/ Bandol/ Sanary, given your beach requirements; although it will be very busy being August.

Alternatively head inland in Western Provence for quaint villages - the Luberon or Vaucluse ; however, a pool with the accommodation would be essential _depends on your budget.

A slightly quieter inland destination would be the villages of the Var like Cotignac or around the Gorge du Verdon with the Lac Sante Croix for the children to swim in.

I really enjoyed staying in Camoglia on the Italian Riviera; however, it might be too close to Portofino etc for you.

You need to do some research I think!

Mentioned in this post
Cannes
Cannes
Antibes
Antibes
Saint-Tropez
Saint-Tropez
Provence Caffe
Provence Caffe
261 Reviews
Angers, France
Cassis
Cassis
La Ciotat
La Ciotat
Bandol
Bandol
Luberon
Luberon
Vaucluse, France
Vaucluse
Vaucluse
Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur, France
Var
Var
Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur, France
Cotignac
Cotignac
Var, France
Lac d'Annecy
Lac d'Annecy
5,817 Reviews
Annecy, France
Italian Riviera
Italian Riviera
Liguria, Italy
Portofino
Portofino
Italian Riviera, Italy
Oakville, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: southern france / italy trip need help !!

thank you so much ! i will definatley look into some of the places you mentioned

aberdeen
Level Contributor
604 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: southern france / italy trip need help !!

Re parking in Cannes.

It is difficult and will be especially so in August, so I wouldn't recommend having a car for your week on the Cote D'Azur; however, there is a good train link to many other nearby places - Antibes, Nice, Villefranche, Monaco, Menton. Buy a Zhou pass for the train for a discount - I think you can get one for a week .Don't use the bus, takes too long.

No good public transport link to St Tropez; however there must be boat from Cannes I suspect, someone else might know the definitive answer to this.

I would recommend getting a car for your time in Western Provence, especially if you decide to base in a small village, as public transport there not so convenient.

Mentioned in this post
Cannes
Cannes
Antibes
Antibes
Monaco
Monaco
Europe
Menton
Menton
Saint-Tropez
Saint-Tropez
Provence Caffe
Provence Caffe
261 Reviews
Angers, France
Antibes, France
Level Contributor
11,075 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: southern france / italy trip need help !!

You will have no difficulty seeing the Riviera by the regular commuter train. Monaco is 70 mins from Cannes; Nice 40 mins. The train runs into Italy. St Tropez is the only place without a railway station.

Parking is certainly the big hassle ..car numbers treble in August, parking spaces don't.

Ed

Edited: 07 August 2018, 20:43
Mentioned in this post
Riviera
Riviera
2,367 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Monaco
Monaco
Europe
Cannes
Cannes
Italy
Italy
Europe
Saint-Tropez
Saint-Tropez
Oakville, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: southern france / italy trip need help !!

thanks all for your replies so far this is really helping ! has anyone heard of www.pierreetvacances.com ? iam looking on there website and they seem to have several properties that are available teh week of aug 16 - 23 the second part of the vacation. the prices all range from 1200 - 2000 euros for the week.

iam tempted to book -Premium residence Port-Prestige, Antibes - which is an apartment in a luxury residence

but want to ensure that it will not be too close to cannes where we will all ready be for the first week. I also want to get a car the second week so that we can explore further down some country roads etc not possible by public transport

any feed back please !!!!!

thansk

Mentioned in this post
Antibes
Antibes
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
16,301 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: southern france / italy trip need help !!

The Italian Riviera: San Remo, Portofino, Rapallo. There are some lovely cities along the Ligurian Coast.

Mentioned in this post
Italian Riviera
Italian Riviera
Liguria, Italy
Portofino
Portofino
Italian Riviera, Italy
Rapallo
Rapallo
Italian Riviera, Italy
Reply to: southern france / italy trip need help !!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted