We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about schengen visa

Casablanca, Morocco
5 posts
Save Topic
Question about schengen visa

Hello,

I recently received a long-stay visa for studies from Switzerland and I wanted to know if it is possible for me to travel to Germany with this type of visa considering that I'll go to Germany first then to Switzerland to settle down permanently.

N.B : I am moroccan

Thank you in advance

Mentioned in this post
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
646 Reviews
from US$ 73.30*
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
703 Reviews
from US$ 47.70*
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,267 Reviews
from US$ 101.30*
2 replies to this topic
1. Re: Question about schengen visa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 August 2018, 12:13

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,611 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about schengen visa

Well, it's a little more complicated that just where it says it's valid. A short-stay Type C Schengen visa will say that it is valid in Schengen states, but OP has a long-stay visa, which is a Type D National visa. Those visas will show the country that issued it (in this case Switzerland) on the "Valid for" line because it's only valid there for the "long stay" part of it (i.e. over 90 days).

However, a long stay Type D visa issued by any Schengen member state allows travel to all other Schengen member states for a period not to exceed 90 days in any 180 days.

So the answer to OP is yes, if you have a Type D visa from Switzerland, you may travel to any other Schengen member for up to 90 days in any 180 period.

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Question about schengen visa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted