We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is this trip in France worth leaving paris for?

4 posts
is this trip in France worth leaving paris for?

So we want to see Monet Gardens so i booked a train to Vernon and rented a car. We will see the gardens then drive to Étretat to see the cliffs. then drive to Caen to sleep overnight. then take train back to paris mid day (so we could sightsee around Normandy beaches area)..

WE are only in Paris for 8 days total. Do you think only 6 days in Paris is a good first visit or will it just be overwhelming to try to do this?

Just asking...

4 replies to this topic
CA
Level Contributor
11,235 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: is this trip in France worth leaving paris for?

The problem is leaving luggage in the vehicle when parked.

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
9,453 posts
93 reviews
2. Re: is this trip in France worth leaving paris for?

It is a lot of ground to cover in 1 day 1/2. Check the driving distances & timings on www.viamichelin.com . You could spend a full day in the area of Giverny visiting La-Roche-Guyon and Château Gaillard in addition to Monet's garden. In allotting one morning to the Normandy beaches you have just about time for a selfie.

Bellflower...
Level Contributor
5,670 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: is this trip in France worth leaving paris for?

Bonjour, Cyndi,

We did not go to Normandy until our fifth trip to France and wished we had gone sooner.

There are half-day tours of D-day sights from Bayeux. I don't know what these entail. On your own, you could probably go to the Normandy-American Cemetery, Omaha Beach and Pointe du Hoc.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
28,884 posts
95 reviews
4. Re: is this trip in France worth leaving paris for?

I would leave most of your luggage at the hotel in Paris to which you will return and would choose to stay in Bayeux and see the tapestry rather than Caen. I loved Etretat but we had 5 nights for Normandy. A week in Paris to 10 days is a perfect first visit with maybe one or two easy day trips like Giverny or Chartres or Auvers sur Oise -- but the places you plan to go are all marvelous too. You can see my snapshots of Etretat and Bayeux in the photo journal.

janettravels44

www.janettravels.wordpress.com

Reply to: is this trip in France worth leaving paris for?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted