We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip ideas from Germany to Lourdes and back

Dortmund, Germany
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Road trip ideas from Germany to Lourdes and back

Hi there!

I'll be driving to Lourdes from Germany (Dortmund) during first week of October this year. Since the distance one way is around 1400kms, I'm planning of breaking the journey in half.

Day 1: Dortmund to Orleans

Day 2: Orleans to Lourdes

Day 3 & 4: Stay in Lourdes

Day 5: Start return journey. Lourdes to Dijon

Day 6: Dijon to Dortmund.

I think taking a different route whole returning will allow us to experience a bit more of the landscape. How does this itinerary look like? Nothing is set in stone other than the fact that we need to go to Lourdes. Are there any other routes that we should definitely look into? I am hoping to experience as much of the beautiful scenery in France as possible. I could even extend my return journey by another day if it's worthwhile.

Thank you!!

Special Offer
Big Bus Paris Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
1,906 Reviews
from US$ 39.40*
US$ 43.70
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,296 Reviews
from US$ 109.30*
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
2 replies to this topic
Paris, France
Level Contributor
18,176 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: Road trip ideas from Germany to Lourdes and back

Seems like a LOT of driving for such a short trip.

Dortmund, Germany
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Road trip ideas from Germany to Lourdes and back

Yup! It sure is shaping up to be one. The trip to Lourdes is a must since I'd decided that I'll take my daughter there before her second birthday. Also I've been promising my wife that we'll go on a nice long road trip for quite some time now. So I thought I'll combine the two requirements!!

Do you think that I'm probably biting off more than I can chew? In wondering if the weather is going to be a problem during the first week of October... Also, is it advisable to bypass the main highways so as to save money on the exorbitant tolls they you guys have in France? I'll need to pay around 110 euros just one way if I take the Highway from the north of France to Lourdes.

Reply to: Road trip ideas from Germany to Lourdes and back
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted