We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

family of 4 to Paris, Belgium, Amsterdam Cannes

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
family of 4 to Paris, Belgium, Amsterdam Cannes

Hi

We are plaining to come to europe for 20 days and we are stying most of our time in like 10 day cannes. so but we wanted also go to Belgium ,Amsterdam and germany before heading to cannes. We will be landing in Paris and was thinking to spend 2 days there and 2 days in Belgium , 2 days in Amsterdam and 2 in Germany possibly duesseldurft or cologne then to cannes. so I am not sure if I should rent a car or get on the train so what is best way to plan this 10 days and what to used as transportation to stay in budget. any suggestion of where to stay and visit would also appreciated.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Belgium
Belgium
Europe
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Germany
Germany
Europe
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
645 Reviews
from US$ 72.70*
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
702 Reviews
from US$ 47.30*
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,267 Reviews
from US$ 100.30*
6 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
96,398 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: family of 4 to Paris, Belgium, Amsterdam Cannes

When you allow for travel, two nights in a place means only one full day. It really seems a waste of money to travel to Amsterdam or Cologne to spend only one day there.

As you seem to intend to visit cities, you should travel by train.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Cologne
Cologne
North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: family of 4 to Paris, Belgium, Amsterdam Cannes

Thanks again , since I never been in those cities before, which one should I scratch out from my list in order to make my money and time worth in your opinion ? and also do I need to by train ticket in advance which is only 6 day is before trip or can I buy it in the station ?

Edited: 04 August 2018, 08:32
Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
8,972 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: family of 4 to Paris, Belgium, Amsterdam Cannes

Maybe you should ask yourselves why why you want to go to any of those places at such expense and in the opposite direction of Cannes. The fact that you ask the question makes me wonder if you really know. Perhaps they are just names you have heard of. A good start point would to be find out what is there and why you want to go there. Nobody on this forum can answer that. A walk up train ticket will cost 3 or 4 times as much as one bought 3 months or so before travel date.

Mentioned in this post
Cannes
Cannes
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,836 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: family of 4 to Paris, Belgium, Amsterdam Cannes

It's shame that you didn't plan better and fly open-jaws, into Amsterdam and home from Nice or Marseilles - or even Paris.

If you MUST traipse across several countries in a short period of time, I would head to Amsterdam as soon as you arrive in Paris (you could stop in Brussels on the way) and then fly to Nice.

I would end your trip in Paris and skip Cologne - I was there this week for 2 nights to see a concert. I liked Cologne but wondered what the appeal was for visitors besides the Cathedral.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Cologne
Cologne
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
28,341 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: family of 4 to Paris, Belgium, Amsterdam Cannes

I would skip Belgium and Cologne definitely. spend at least 3 nights in Amsterdam -- it is actually a pretty good 3 nights/2 day city and then fly to Cannes and finish with a week in Paris. It is really experience to bounce around and not good value to do it when you aren't spending enough time to get anything from the place.

Mentioned in this post
Belgium
Belgium
Europe
Cologne
Cologne
Cannes
Cannes
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
8,772 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: family of 4 to Paris, Belgium, Amsterdam Cannes

welcome,

on your next trip, try looking at a map. You can plot those places and see how far things are spreadout and sometimes you will see a path with an outlier, such as Cannes.

as mentioned an open jaw ticket will be nice too, but if you bought round trip tickets, this will be a learning and maybe an expensive experience for you.

there are travel books too.

But as mentioned ask why you want to see those places. Is it just because? Its okay to do that type of trip too, but if there is no specific reason other than "because" you maybe able to figure out a better path to take.

again, get a map and start looking at where you want to go. Since you say "we" you may want to get the others involved in the research. That way they will have something invested.

you mentioned Belgium and Germany. Those are countries and cover alot of ground.

when you are planning you can remember to do the math trick. Take your avialblee days and divide by places. This assumes equal time in each place and no transport time between.

note that when you move your base, you will loose at the MINIMUM 1/2 day doing so.

heres a website for you too bookmark.

www.seat61.com

there is alot of great train info there. But dont forget you may need to take a bus or fly, depending on how long the trip is and where.

one last comment. If you cant or dont want to plan a trip, then dont. There are poeople that will do it for you for $$. But you will need to have an idea on where you want to go such as in Belgium and Germany.

then keep in mind to try and not do or see it all in 1trip or this trip. Theres always the next time.

good luck

Edited: 05 August 2018, 09:22
Mentioned in this post
Belgium
Belgium
Europe
Germany
Germany
Europe
Reply to: family of 4 to Paris, Belgium, Amsterdam Cannes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted