We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cell phone during our 6 week stay in Europe

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
303 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
cell phone during our 6 week stay in Europe

I have been reading a lot of posts about SIM cards and need some advice nonetheless... We will be about 4 1/2 weeks in France, 5 days in Barcelone and one week in the Netherlands.

I have an unlocked I phone 5S and an older unlocked (non smart) NOKIA cell phone. We are travelling with another couple and would like to be able to stay in touch with each other when necessary, and be able to call or text the owners of the 5 places we are renting. We will have internet and wifi at those places, and will have a gps and paper maps when we are travelling. So we really do not need data. I originally thought the Orange Holiday SIM would be ideal, but maybe that is more than we need. Can anyone suggest a cheaper alternative?

Would very much appreciate some advice on this!

Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
646 Reviews
from US$ 73.30*
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
704 Reviews
from US$ 47.70*
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,267 Reviews
from US$ 101.30*
4 replies to this topic
Antibes, France
Level Contributor
11,106 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: cell phone during our 6 week stay in Europe

http://www.lycamobile.com/lycamobile

Ed

Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
4,164 posts
752 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cell phone during our 6 week stay in Europe

Lycamobile as suggested by WB above covers both countries and offers good service at a reasonable price.

Edited: 03 August 2018, 20:40
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: cell phone during our 6 week stay in Europe

We have Iphones. After a surprise cell phone bill once, we now call our carrier before we leave the country and take steps to ensure that doesn't happen again. Right now we have Sprint. They gave us a number to call before we left to "update our software" . This number needed to be called by each of our 5 phones. Phone calls would be .20 minute, but we had unlimted 2G data with an option to upgrade to faster data at $50 per week per phone. We were most concerned about the kids, but they used their phones as normal without making calls and we didn't have any extra charges. We visited France and Spain for 15 days.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
303 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cell phone during our 6 week stay in Europe

Thanks. However it appears that Canada is not one of the 22 countries...

Reply to: cell phone during our 6 week stay in Europe
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted