We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris > Amsterdam in 8 nights

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
58 posts
4 reviews
Paris > Amsterdam in 8 nights

Hi everyone! My husband and I just booked our flights for a Paris/Amsterdam trip for early next April. We land in Paris at 12:00 on Saturday (after an overnight flight) and leave Amsterdam at 14:00 the following Sunday. So we have 8 nights (1 half day with jet lag + 7 full days + 1 final half day).

We are tying to decide between 5 nights in Paris followed by 3 nights in Amsterdam or 4 nights in each. The 5/3 option would give us 1 jet lagged day in Paris, followed by 4 full days, and we would take the early train out to Amsterdam on the 5th day,

giving us 1 travel/half day, followed by 2 full days, followed by 1 travel/half day. The 4/4 option would change that to 3 full days in Paris and 3 full days in Amsterdam.

A little about us: We prefer to travel slow. We rarely do less than 3 or (preferably) 4 nights anywhere. We will typically hit the major tourist attractions but that is not why we travel. We prefer to wander through the streets, sit at cafes, eat and drink, and enjoy the culture and the atmosphere. We aren’t very into museums, but will likely hit 1 in each city (excited about the Anne Frank museum). We like a little bit of nightlife but it isn’t a major focus as we’re usually so tired after wandering and exploring that we fall asleep shortly after dinner. We love anything outdoorsy. We try to travel on a tight budget but always end up splurging. We will likely be staying in Airbnbs in the most desirable location possible.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

4 replies to this topic
Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
4,374 posts
790 reviews
1. Re: Paris > Amsterdam in 8 nights

I like the idea of setting aside one day for jet lag so 5/3 SOUNDS good to me especially as Paris has more to see. Train between the two cities only takes a little over three hours but packing and getting to the station and then your new b&b will mean you will lose half a day.

Edited: 03 August 2018, 05:43
Oceanside...
Level Contributor
673 posts
55 reviews
2. Re: Paris > Amsterdam in 8 nights

I agree - 5/3. I have never had enough days in Paris! And though I enjoyed 3 days in Amsterdam, that was about right for me.

Edited: 03 August 2018, 09:17
Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
9,722 posts
93 reviews
3. Re: Paris > Amsterdam in 8 nights

There is far more to see & do in Paris than in Amsterdam.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
29,250 posts
95 reviews
4. Re: Paris > Amsterdam in 8 nights

We often exited from Amsterdam because we hate CDG. We consider it the perfect 3 night town. In two full days you can see 2 of the 3 great museums (and maybe all 3), Anne Frank Huis, and do a canal trip and walk around -- 2 full days is lovely in Amsterdam. 5 nights/4 days is skimpy for Paris but if you plan not to just rush and punch tickets it can also be lovely. 8 nights/7 days would actually be ideal for a first Paris visit.

Be sure you have a timed reservation for Anne Frank Huis if you want to do that.

Reply to: Paris > Amsterdam in 8 nights
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted