We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Domestic flight in France

Boston...
4 posts
Save Topic
Domestic flight in France

I Just booked a last minute flight to Paris, arriving Aug 7th at noon, leaving Paris Aug 15th.

I would like to spend a few days in Nice and return to Paris via train. (Yes I realize I could have flown into Nice but got a great deal on a round trip flight).

In order to get to Nice as quickly as possible, I am thinking about booking a flight from Paris to Nice. If I only take a carry on can I easily hop on a 3pm flight? Or, would it make more sense to wait until I get to the airport and see what timing would work out best for the next flight?

Also, do I need to book train tickets in advance? I would like the flexibility of spending a night in another city along the way if possible.

Thanks in advance for advice!!

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
645 Reviews
from US$ 73.00*
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
702 Reviews
from US$ 47.50*
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,267 Reviews
from US$ 100.80*
5 replies to this topic
Tierra Verde...
Level Contributor
2,957 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Domestic flight in France

I'd book the flight now since it is only about 50 Euros. Look at Air France and EasyJet. 3 hours is about right to be safe (assuming your flight lands close to on time). We've done it in about 2 hours including bag retrieval and re-submitting bags, but either way you have to clear customs in between. You are smart to do Nice first and then Paris so you're in the city you fly home from at the end. Booking train tickets is up to you but they get more expensive the longer you wait. We prefer flying anyway...

Edited: 02 August 2018, 20:40
Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Marlow, United...
Level Contributor
5,550 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Domestic flight in France

You do not have to book train tickets in advance but for long-distance express trains (the TGV) it will be much cheaper if you do. In addition, for the TGV a seat reservation is compulsory so it is always possible that a train you want to travel on will be sold out. Furthermore, you cannot just hop off a TGV train wherever you feel like, and then hop back on to another train to complete your journey. If you want to visit an intermediate city, you will need to buy a ticket for that city on a specific train, then another ticket from that city to Paris on a specific train.

If using the slower regional trains that stop everywhere, you do not need to book in advance, but the journey will be much longer than the TGV.

All is explained here:

https://www.seat61.com/tgv.htm

Mentioned in this post
TGV
TGV
1,387 Reviews
Paris, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
4,129 posts
750 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Domestic flight in France

Like airline tickets train tickets are a good deal less expensive if purchased in advance. You can have flexibility but you will pay something for it.

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
8,972 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Domestic flight in France

If you buy a ticket on arrival in Paris you will pay €€€€ I suggest you book on EasyJet & take their missed flight insurance just in case

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Boston...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Domestic flight in France

Thank you all so much- very helpful info! I will book the flight now and the train ticket very soon. I'm thinking about spending a night in Cannes via regional train and hopping on TGV to Paris from there.

Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Cannes
Cannes
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
TGV
TGV
1,387 Reviews
Paris, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France