We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris on your own

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Paris on your own

I have just booked a long weekend as part of my 10 year anniversary gift at work and wanted to hear of experiences of getting about - e.g. using metro, what restaurants to go,to, where to avoid at night etc. I am staying in the Meliá Paris Eiffel Tower so fairly central

I am travelling on my own (not lucky to have the girl to spend the time with in a romantic city) and never visited Paris before so this is all new to me.

Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
Special Offer
Big Bus Paris Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
1,840 Reviews
from US$ 37.80*
US$ 43.50
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
7 replies to this topic
r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
9,456 posts
1 review
1. Re: Paris on your own

welcome,

Have you used the Tube in London?

If you have then getting about via Metro shouldnt be that much of a hassle for you.

I havent found any areas to avoid in Paris. Or at least where tourist usually go.

For what its worth and how i see things, you dont need to have a SO to travel, enjoy life, or visit Paris. If you come from a culture where if you arent banging out babies by 30, then thats between you and your culture. If you feel you have imposed something on yourself, thats up to you too. The single police wont stop you at the train station either.

but i have been to Paris several times and im an older solo male travelers. If you wait for a SO to travel, you may need to wait for a while. So you need to make a decision of you are going to jump in an enjoy life as it comes and is or sit on the sidelines waiting for that perfect time or mate.

one last thing. Travel is a do over. So if you do find that SO, then you can always go back. Again, there wont be anyone what will care if you do.

good luck.

Bellflower...
Level Contributor
5,728 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: Paris on your own

Bonjour, Fraser,

The following links provide information on using the Paris Metro.

https://parisbytrain.com/paris-metro/

feelslikehomeinparis.com/tips/how-to-use-the…

I also like this little video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3LymBzOZUQ

I think part of using the Metro is knowing how to read a Metro map:

http://www.parisvoyage.com/title.php?title=21

The hotel is within walking distance of the Eiffel Tower, Alexander III bridge, les Invalides, Musee d'Orsay and the Louvre. For farther destinations, you may want to use the route planner, https://www.ratp.fr/en.

Sorry, I have no restaurant recommendations and don't know of places to avoid at night, at least in the tourist area of Paris. There are women on this forum, including me, who have traveled alone to Paris and been out at night. I don't know where you have the idea that Paris is for couples only, as evidenced in your other post.

Have a wonderful trip!

MrsJAS

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Paris on your own

I am regular in London - it's like a second home to me. Post wasn't about choices because I am single (I am actually disabled so it isn't a self imposed single life I have opted for). Just wanted to see where's best for eating, any hidden gems, stuff like that.

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Paris on your own

Thanks MrsJAS, very helpful. Got the impression it was for couples only through other people. I go to other places on my own - NYC, London, Berlin etc - but when I mentioned Paris, it was 'that's fo couples, why go there!'

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
9,456 posts
1 review
5. Re: Paris on your own

welcome back,

well even for eating, again, im an older solo male traveler and have not felt or got any impression in Paris or any other place in the world i have traveled, that being solo and male was a big deal or they didnt want to cater to me.

Some places would try to put me in the back, but thats fine. Some people tried to put me near the front where there were smokers, but i dont care to have a helping of smoke with my meal.

good luck

Bellflower...
Level Contributor
5,728 posts
23 reviews
6. Re: Paris on your own

Using the bus, rather than the Mero may be better. Your hotel is near three bus lines. One of the lines, #42, stops near various tourist sights. The following link provides more information. Be aware, however, that the 42 is a regular bus; there are no announcements (no "prochain arret, le Tour Eiffel) and you need to know the stop.

https:/…

I don't know of any hidden gems. To me, Paris is a gem.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,837 posts
9 reviews
7. Re: Paris on your own

I do not know how Paris got this reputation as a romantic, couples only destination. The only such places are purpose built resorts in the tropics. If you are used to travelling in London and New York, then you will find that Paris has all the same amenities. Paris is a big city just like them, and in my opinion is no more or less "romantic" than them. All three of these cities are full of people who are just going about their daily lives, and whoever told you that it was only for couples does not seem to have noticed this.

As for attractions, there are so many guide books written about Paris that nothing is truly hidden. But there are some that are less visited than others. For example, the Petit Palais is a nice art gallery near the Champs Elysee, and entry is free. I found it amazingly uncrowded, especially given its location.

Reply to: Paris on your own
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted