We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Lourdes, France from Barcelona, Spain?

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Travel to Lourdes, France from Barcelona, Spain?

Has anyone done this? Train? Flight?

I'm traveling solo to Cauterets (south of Lourdes) and coming from California, USA.

Flights to Barcelona are not only closer to Lourdes, but also much cheaper than flying to Paris.

I'm on a very tight budget and willing to be a bit uncomfortable, but not excessively so.

I'm wondering if the hassle of traveling across the border would negate the benefit of the savings.

Anyone?

Special Offer
Big Bus Paris Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
1,904 Reviews
from US$ 39.40*
US$ 43.80
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,295 Reviews
from US$ 109.40*
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
5 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
16,927 posts
76 reviews
1. Re: Travel to Lourdes, France from Barcelona, Spain?

I don't understand your predicament. Are you saying that the cheapest flight from California to the area around Lourdes is by going through Barcelona? With so many flights from California, I find this hard to believe. Have you tried looking at flights to either Toulouse or Bordeaux or even Nice? We go to Lourdes regularly and travel directly through Toulouse (from YVR thru LHR).

Don't just look at the flights but at the cost of commuting as well as the convenience of arriving in France and taking a rather inexpensive train to your final destination?

Edited: 01 August 2018, 22:32
Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Travel to Lourdes, France from Barcelona, Spain?

Good point. No, I have not even tried looking at flights directly to Toulouse. I just assumed that going to a major hub in Europe would be the cheapest option. I'll look into that. Thanks.

Edited: 01 August 2018, 22:51
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
98,734 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Travel to Lourdes, France from Barcelona, Spain?

There is no "hassle" of crossing between Spain and France. Both countries are members of the EU and in the Schengen area, so there are no routine border formalities. There may be spot checks.

Look at the possibilities for flights with https://matrix.itasoftware.com/ as this site does not show imaginary prices from dodgy agencies. Get costs from the web sites of the airlines.

Once you have the cost of flights, go to www.trainline.eu to get the cost of train travel from your airports to Lourdes. Bear in mind that French and Spanish trains are prices like air travel: cheap if bought months in advance, expensive for walk-up.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
16,927 posts
76 reviews
4. Re: Travel to Lourdes, France from Barcelona, Spain?

IMO, the "hassle" of going from Spain to France instead of just landing in France is the length of the commute and having to change trains. So much easier to just arrive in France, the closest airport to where you eventually have to go. The less time spent in the commute the more time to enjoy your destination.

On the other hand if you want to make the most of your travel and spend time in another country/area then go to Spain and spend time there. Great food and IMHO better "bang" for the Euro.

Edited: 02 August 2018, 05:29
Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Travel to Lourdes, France from Barcelona, Spain?

Thanks so much. Great advice from you both!

Reply to: Travel to Lourdes, France from Barcelona, Spain?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted