We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train travel Paris-Rome-Florence-Pisa-Venice-Salzburg-Munich

Sunny California
Level Contributor
151 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Train travel Paris-Rome-Florence-Pisa-Venice-Salzburg-Munich

Hello,

In calculating the train trip, we were shocked to learn that after getting the 4 country 5 day Euro select saver

rail pass, it will be costing us (me and my wife) a total of $770 + $392 (reservation fees) = $1162. Oh what a rip-off!

However, if I buy tix from the individual countries' websites, it will cost us:

Paris--Rome : $204

Rome---Florence: $112

Florence---Pisa: $19

Florence---Venice: $44

Venice---Salzburg: ? (None of the websites are quoting the figures for this trip?)

Salzburg---Munich: $50

--------

$440 + venice---Salzburg

1> Does this make sense? This huge difference in price between the pass ($1162) and individual tix (around $500). Or are we missing something here.

2> Anyone knows how I find out the ticket rate from venice to Salzburg and how I can book it?

3> Any other inputs you can help us with is greatly appreciate.

We are planning for this trip in late May.

canada
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train travel Paris-Rome-Florence-Pisa-Venice-Salzburg-Munich

1. Now you know how much profit raileurope makes. That's what you miss.

2. Book it while in Italy, say, Rome; one or 2 days ahead will be enough.

3. Eurostar trains are faster and cost more, regional trains are slower with more stops, its low cost is unbelievable, almost like city buses.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train travel Paris-Rome-Florence-Pisa-Venice-Salzburg-Munich

Yep. You just rumbled RailEurope's nasty little habit of price-gouging. If you really want an eye-opener try pricing all your individual trips on RaiiEurope!

Were you planning to take the night train or day train from Venice to Salzburg? It might make a difference to how to go about looking for the fares.

I'm kind of thinking that you might not need to book any of these trips in advance except the first if you are travelling in May. OTOH if any of the fares you are quoting are discounted fares you will have to book as early as you can to lock in the low fares.

Different countries have different booking periods. In some you can book up to 120 days in advance. Others it is 90 or 60 so this might affect your strategy.

This page by MorganB is specific to booking French trains but it might be useful for you to have a look at it. http://tinyurl.com/qpdef

Ask away if you have any other questions. I just love poking RailEurope in the eye with a sharp stick!

Bangor, Maine
Level Contributor
277 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train travel Paris-Rome-Florence-Pisa-Venice-Salzburg-Munich

We had a very good experience (and very good prices) last year booking trains for travel within Italy before leaving on our trip which was in June. We did 3 longish trips: Venice-Florence, Florence-Rome, and Rome-Naples. There are frequent high speed trains between most of the major Italian cities.

The Trenitalia Website allows you to book and make seat reservations and print out what is in essence an e-ticket (with a barcode). I can't recall how much ahead you can do this, but it may be 90 days, You just board the train, find your seats, the conductor comes by, scans your e-ticket, and gives you a paper one to use for the duration of the trip.

Train travel is less expensive in Italy than in a lot of other European counties, I believe. For more instructions on Italian train travel, check the Italy forum on Slow Travel, as that's where I found all the information.

Sunny California
Level Contributor
151 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train travel Paris-Rome-Florence-Pisa-Venice-Salzburg-Munich

Thanks guys. This is really helpful. So seems like euro-pass thing is a real shame.

I am waiting for the 90 day limit so that I can buy the night train from Paris to Rome.

IrishRovr,

Thanks. The france train booking cheat sheet was awesome.

Venice to Salzburg, we are planning to travel during the day.

peguid,

Was there a difference in pricing between buying the tix directly at the station and online?

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,928 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train travel Paris-Rome-Florence-Pisa-Venice-Salzburg-Munich

>Was there a difference in pricing between buying the tix directly at the station and online?

No, for normal tix there isn't. But there are special offers that you can only buy in advance. Again, you could buy them for the same price at the station but you won't be near any train station at the time where you would buy these... so if you have a chance to get special offers online, get them . Tickets for full price will always be available at the station in case the specials are gone.

Bangor, Maine
Level Contributor
277 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train travel Paris-Rome-Florence-Pisa-Venice-Salzburg-Munich

Last year, we purchased our tickets and made reservations on line for our travel in Italy for a couple of reasons. First, we wanted to make sure we had reservations since we were traveling on the high spped trains. Second, because we don't speak Italian, and because lines can often be long at ticket counters in the city train stations, we felt more secure knowing we had our tickets and reservations in hand and just had to show up at the station.

I think if you were just doing local travel within Italy and not using the high speed trains, buying the tickets right at the stations would not be a problem. There are automatic ticket machines, as well as the ticket windows with the long lines, so if you feel comfortable figuring out how to use the macjhines for ticket purchase, that could work well.

Although I don't remember exactly, I don't think it cost much more to do the ticket purchase on-line--I think there was a slight surcharge but I think the actual ticket cost is the same.

Now that I've been trying to navigate the French (SNCF) ticket and reservation system, I see how spoiled I was last year using the much more user-friendly Italian system. And, I can read French somewhat, so have been usuing the French rather than the English version of the SNCF Website.