We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Green Parks in Manchester

UK
Level Contributor
342 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Green Parks in Manchester

Hi

I came to Manchester last year for a few days - and it was very warm - and I was unable to find the Manchester equivilent of London's parks - as I'm also coming again in a few months, where does everyone hang out in Manchester when the sun comes out??

Cheers

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Green Parks in Manchester

There aren't many green spaces in the city centre. I can only think of St. John's gardens in the city centre (I'm not counting the bit of grass in Piccadilly gardens).

manchester.gov.uk/info/…1

Plenty of options outside the city centre though

manchester.gov.uk/info/…parks_and_open_spaces

Heston park is good and easy to get to by tram (Bury line).

Hope that helps.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Green Parks in Manchester

Heaton park not heston!!!

UK
Level Contributor
342 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Green Parks in Manchester

thank you for the info.

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,444 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Green Parks in Manchester

To the South of the city Platt Fields on Oxford Road just beyond the University or Wythenshawe Park somewhat further out . Chorlton Park...

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Green Parks in Manchester

There is also Whitworth Park, which 20mins Waldo from the city centre. Although if you are near the Unis it's a 5 to 10 min stroll depending where you are.

For less greenery, but more sitting outside a bar in the sunshine. Canal street in the Gay village or Castlefield.

As stated above not too many green spaces in the city as its not terribly big. When you have the Peak district, Cheshire plains and Ribble Valley 40 mins drive away there isn't quite the same need for large green spaces in the city centre.

6. Re: Green Parks in Manchester

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 April 2012, 02:35
7. Re: Green Parks in Manchester

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 April 2012, 02:35
UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,444 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Green Parks in Manchester

Sorry, id. Meant Whitworth when I said Platt Fields

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
1,897 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Green Parks in Manchester

Parsonage Gardens (sort of behind Kendals) is a nice bit of grass to sit out on on a warm summer day.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
79 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Green Parks in Manchester

If it's sunny you either need to sit outside one of the many bars - deansgate, near Urbis/M&S, Castefield etc, or head out of the city - train to Greenfield in Saddleworth, all lovely rolling hills, reservoirs, walks, picturesque villages, country pubs.