We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking near Opera House?

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Parking near Opera House?

Hi there,

Going to the opera house tonight to see "Never Forget" and wondered about parking. Are there car parks in the area, and how much?

Even better, are there local streets with free car parking. Don't mind a 15 minute walk to the Opera House.

Many thanks in advance

CarolineJ

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking near Opera House?

Hi Caroline, On street parking in the city centre is free after 6:00pm. You can park at a meter or on single yellow lines, as long as you don't cause an obstruction. Just check the signs and you will be OK.

The streets opposite The Opera House, between Granada television and The Museum of Science and Industry, would be one place.

If you are going for a bite to eat or a drink before the show, the streets off Deansgate and Peter's Street are only a few minutes walk from the theatre, they have plenty of parking places and there are numerous bars and restaurants in the area.

This map will help, the arrow is pointing to The Opera House.

Good luck!

www.ents24.com/web/maps.php?venueid=7079

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking near Opera House?

Many carparks in the area - a new muli-storey just down the road. Not sure of the price.

The carparks that handle city workers during the day re-open for events at the theatres/arena. Their usual full day rates of around £5 go up to £8+ for the evening though.

If you're OK with a 15 minute walk - just drive around the city centre until you find a free space - as long as you're within the city centre you'll be a 15-20 minute walk of the Opera House. The area around Fountain Street / Spring Gardens / King Street would be OK. I THINK parking in metered bays (which is pretty much all you've got in the city centre) is only free after 8pm (although this may have changed since I last parked in town for the evening - 2 years ago).

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking near Opera House?

Hi, Parking at metered bays and the many single yellow lines has been free after 6:00pm for as long as I can remember. I don't think there as been any recent change, but I have been wrong before. :)

manchester.gov.uk/site/…

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking near Opera House?

That's wonderful information - thank you all very much.

I'll look at the nearby streets first - we'll be arriving in plenty of time, so can always "top up" until 6pm for the meter, then it's free after that.

Many thanks again!

CarolineJ

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking near Opera House?

Live and learn... thought it was 8pm last time (but it was years ago - could well have been 6pm!). Certainly didn't know about the single yellow lines! Thanks.

Manchester
Level Contributor
259 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking near Opera House?

Yeah, the parking after 6pm/on yellow lines thing is a great and little known dodge. It used to be even better as it was free after 12 noon on Saturday and all day Sunday but now I think the council have tweaked it so it is just after 6pm weekdays and Sat and all day Sunday.

The free parking runs all night through till 8am so it used to be a god-send when you had guests at a city centre apartment with no extra parking. If it was a three hour meter they could park after 6pm, load the meter so it clocked through till 11am the next day, and then have a relative lie-in before they had to move it. Most of the central meters do now seem to be one hour or two at most.

The council have also spoilt the fun by latterly removing a lot of the bays and changing single yellows for doubles (all part of the council's strategy to drive cars out of Manchester!) but i did note at the weekend that the row of bays round the corner from Piccolino (turn right at the top of Clarence St, alongside Lime) which had been shut for the construction of the (lovely) Chancery Place building have now been reopened.

As they've been shut for so long they seem to have dropped off people's radar as there were ten bays in a row empty on a Saturday lunchtime when everywhere else in town was stacked out. The Opera House would then be a five-ten minute saunter across Albert Square, and down Deansgate to Quay Street.

Cheers

Thom

7. Re: Parking near Opera House?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2009, 07:46