We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gatwick 3-4 hours layover, what to do? PLEASE HELP!

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
Gatwick 3-4 hours layover, what to do? PLEASE HELP!

Hey folks,

We will arrive on Oct 10th 09:00 at Gatwick North Terminal and our outbound flight for Rome departs at 15:50. We basically have 3 to 4 hours max to spend near Gatwick. I've seen people suggesting other travelers to head to Brighton, Lewes or Crawley, but I am not too sure if I will have time to visit any of these towns and come back before my flight departs to Rome. Any suggestions on what to do is greatly appreciated. Thanks

12 replies to this topic
Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
1. Re: Gatwick 3-4 hours layover, what to do? PLEASE HELP!

If I had a lifetime to spare I wouldn't spend a second of it in Crawley. Can't see why you can't get to Lewes though.

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
2. Re: Gatwick 3-4 hours layover, what to do? PLEASE HELP!

Thanks. I was also not convinced about Crawley. Do you think I can go to Lewes from Gatwick North Terminal and come back in max 4 hrs?

Warwickshire...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds, Rome, London
Level Contributor
4,097 posts
109 reviews
3. Re: Gatwick 3-4 hours layover, what to do? PLEASE HELP!

Are these flights on different tickets? Assuming that 9am is wheels down and your plane is on time, and you are on separate tickets, you should be through immigration & have collected luggage by about 10.30am (there have been delays this summer at immigration - the target is 45 minutes). You will need to be back at the airport by 13.50. You don't IMO have time to go to Lewes or Brighton and, having once lived there, I can't think why you would want to visit Crawley! Stay at the airport and have a decent lunch.

Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
11,674 posts
446 reviews
4. Re: Gatwick 3-4 hours layover, what to do? PLEASE HELP!

I’d wait and see if the incoming flight is anywhere near on time - you might only have time for lunch, whilst not necessarily great it’s perfectly possible to do that at the airport. A shower and a change of clothes would be good for morale too!

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
5. Re: Gatwick 3-4 hours layover, what to do? PLEASE HELP!

Yes they are on different tickets, Gatwick connects will check my luggage for the outbound flight in the morning upon arrival. Time is tight I know, I just wanted to get some fresh air and have something to eat away from airport restaurants. Do you know of any decent place to eat within or nearby Gatwick?

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
6. Re: Gatwick 3-4 hours layover, what to do? PLEASE HELP!

Thanks. Any suggestions on where to eat at a decent price?

Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
11,674 posts
446 reviews
7. Re: Gatwick 3-4 hours layover, what to do? PLEASE HELP!

In North Terminal there’s a Wagamama’s that we have been pleasantly surprised by! https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Rev…

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
12,967 posts
64 reviews
8. Re: Gatwick 3-4 hours layover, what to do? PLEASE HELP!

There are several nice pubs in Horley which serve lunch, it's only a few minutes away by taxi.

Edited: 20 September 2018, 00:43
Corringham, United...
Level Contributor
7,731 posts
127 reviews
9. Re: Gatwick 3-4 hours layover, what to do? PLEASE HELP!

This often gets a mention on here and in the main reasonably good reviews.

Have been there and have no complaints.

It's a 5 minute cab ride from the North terminal

https:/…yeoldesixbellshorley

Arrive at 12 noon be away by 1.30.

What will you do with your luggage?

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
10. Re: Gatwick 3-4 hours layover, what to do? PLEASE HELP!

Thank you all. For the luggage question, Gatwick connect can check luggage up to 6hrs before departure for arriving passengers connecting with easyJet and other partner airlines. I will explore all these options but feel free to add more. Thanks!

Reply to: Gatwick 3-4 hours layover, what to do? PLEASE HELP!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted