We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Authentic Pubs near Marriott Swindon

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
Authentic Pubs near Marriott Swindon

We'll be spending a few nights at the Swindon Marriott as a base for the southern Cotswolds and bath. We will have a car. Are there any good pubs nearby the Marriott where we can get a pint or two?

Thanks!

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Authentic Pubs near Marriott Swindon

Also, any day trip suggestions from Swindon? Thx

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Authentic Pubs near Marriott Swindon

Hi there

The hotel is some way out of town more or less on the junction of Marlborough Rd and Pipers Way. Most of the pubs in the immediate area aren't up to much but if you don't mind a 5 minute drive, I'd head for the Carters Rest pub in Wroughton, which has a fantastic selection of real cask ales and has been a CAMRA ( Campaign for Real Ale) top pub for many years.

Drive down Pipers Way to it's junction with the A4361 Swindon - Devizes road, turn left, follow signs for Wroughton, go over the M4 motorway, just keep going straight till you come to a mini roundabout with a closed down pub on the right, turn right there, follow up through to the traffic lights, straight on and the Carters is on the right. Great pub, had many a fine pint in there.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Authentic Pubs near Marriott Swindon

Thanks we'll be sure to check it out. It sounds like what we're looking for...

Wiltshire, England
Level Contributor
295 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Authentic Pubs near Marriott Swindon

There's plenty of advice in these forums for day trips from Swindon, but here are a few to get you started: Avebury, Devizes, Bradford-on-Avon, Lacock, Bowood House. Lots of natural beauty in the Wiltshire Downs with chalk white horses, the Kennet and Avon canal and little villages. Ad of course the Cotswolds and Bath which you've already mentioned.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Authentic Pubs near Marriott Swindon

Great! We have two more weeks before we arrive so I can research those places. Thanks!

swindon
Level Contributor
3 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Authentic Pubs near Marriott Swindon

agree about the carters (although there's some issue with it as it's up for sale), however, if you want to walk to a pub then try Old Town - Steam Railway [Newport St] (Real Ale Bar to the right as you walk in is quieter & has beer), or try either the Pig on the Hill [Devizes Rd, almost next the Arts Centre] / The Goddards [High St] although these can get busy at weekends

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Authentic Pubs near Marriott Swindon

Hi Bert

Yes, it's a shame that the Carters is up for sale, I believe it's owned by one of the big pubcos so whether it is actually up for sale ( why would they want to sell such a great pub..?) or that the landlord has given notice, I'm not sure. I popped in over the weekend and it was as good as ever.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Authentic Pubs near Marriott Swindon

These are in the old town Swindon? Thanks We'll be there four nights so we'll have ample opportunity to check them out.

swindon
Level Contributor
3 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Authentic Pubs near Marriott Swindon

they are in old town (could do all in 1 evening as all less than 5 mins walking from each other, so if you don't like 1 you can move on)

on a different topic beware driving to bath - it's not easy by car to get to the city centre try the train (how i get there) or the park & rides - oxford is also close, but same advice on driving

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Authentic Pubs near Marriott Swindon

Thanks for the heads up on Bath (we'll do park and ride) and Oxford. Not sure yet.

Get answers to your questions about Swindon