We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Only 5 days to visit - driving

Ohio
Level Contributor
74 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Only 5 days to visit - driving

We'll be flying into Dublin on a Sunday afternoon (early Sept) and returning there on a Friday evening to fly out early in the morning. Our time in Ireland will come after 8 days in Scotland, so we will see much dramatic landscape there.

I've read many posts and have listened to friends who have visited Ireland. It seems that our 5 days are not a lot for driving around Ireland and unless we always want to be in the car, we should narrow down the area we try to see. I've considered the Killarney/Dingle area, but am thinking that we might be better off staying somewhere in the Westport/Castlebar/Ballina area and driving to see the area including more remote towns like Belmullet. Perhaps from this location we could take a day trip to Donegal or the Aran Islands for something extra.

Our interest is the landscape, some historic sights, small town experience. We would enjoy renting bikes for a day and hiking around some. We'll be celebrating our 25th anniversary while we are there and would like to be in a pretty town that day. (I had planned on Dingle, but I think it's just too far for the time we have.)

Any comments on these ideas would be appreciated! Are we right in trying to keep to one area? Are trips into Clare and/or Sligo feasible?

new york
Level Contributor
957 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Only 5 days to visit - driving

Stay two nights in Dublin (the first and the last) then head over to Galway... from there you can visit Salt Hill, the Aran Islands, the Burren and the Cliffs, and then head back to Dublin for your flight out. Galway is dreamy romantic city (at least it was when I was there). Lot's of great trad music, seafood, and nice people.

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
394 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Only 5 days to visit - driving

Hello Coldhere.

I think you have the right strategy with staying in one general area, rather than trying to see tooo much.

We just returned from Ireland and Scotland (did it the opposite way to yor plans) and really enjoyed ourselves in both countries. We stayed for two nights in Westport (B&B) and enjoyed it quite a bit. Dinner on the harbour was nice, Sligo is an easy day trip and I would encourage it. Passage tombs are interesting, if thats your thing, also the coastal drives. "Scenic" is an understatement! The best B&B of our vacation was in Sligo - pm me if you want full detail.

Late Day Traveller

Canada

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Only 5 days to visit - driving

Hi, I think I would do this:

Sun. - Drive to Galway.

Mon. - Tour Co. Clare or visit one of the Aran Islands. Stay in Galway.

Tues. - Drive up through Connemara, Leenane, Louisburgh - to Westport/Castlebar. Stay there 3 nights.

Weds. - Tour Achill Island, north Mayo coast, Mullet peninsula.

Thurs. - Daytrip to Sligo.

Fri. - Visit Croagh Patrick, Murrisk, Ballintubber Abbey in the morning, then leave for Dublin.

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Only 5 days to visit - driving

Alternatively, on Fri. morning, you could visit the Museum of Country Life, just east of Castlebar, before returning to Dublin.

Ohio
Level Contributor
74 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Only 5 days to visit - driving

Thanks, I like all of your ideas!

trintraveler, I may message you. Found your mention of Glencolumbkille in another post and I'm getting very excited about that. It could be the kind of place we'd love for a couple of days if the drive isn't too much.

Then maybe down to Sligo, Ballina, (Will check with you about that Late-Day.) Maybe stay in Castlebar, then finish out near Galway. We'll definetly spend the last night in Dublin.

I'm trying to set my sights too large, but I'm starting to lean towards a little larger area, still north and west. Will start mapping it on AA!

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Only 5 days to visit - driving

Hi

previous poster gave you great ideas... I would do:

Sun. - Drive to Galway.

Mon. - (depending on weather) Aran Island. Night Galway

Tue Moher + Burren

Wed Connemara. Night in Westport

Thur Wesport > Donegal (100 miles) passing museum of Country life and visiting Slieve League in the Aft. Night in Donegal town

Fri Donegal>Dublin. Night in Dublin

Flight early morning

Edited: 07 August 2011, 14:58
Ohio
Level Contributor
74 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Only 5 days to visit - driving

Thanks italian. An Aran Island sounds nice. I'm wondering if it is so nice that we should commit to staying that far south when I'm tempted to add a bit more up in Northern Ireland.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Only 5 days to visit - driving

North is lovely.. the area aound

http://www.giantscausewayofficialguide.com/

and

discovernorthernireland.com/Carrick-a-Rede-R…

But with 5 days.. it s gonna be north OR south...

Ohio
Level Contributor
74 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Only 5 days to visit - driving

Am I right in thinking we should consider the Aran Islands south if we go to the giant's causeway? I'm a little confused because they lie right on the midpoint line between north and south (line along Dublin and Galway).

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Only 5 days to visit - driving

Sorry Coldhere51

did not get you.. what do you mean?

You can either get to Aran Island from Galway (Bus+ferry) or from Doolin

If you wonna visit the Giant's C, that you ll be driving towards Derry>Sligo>Galway>......

Edited: 10 August 2011, 20:49
Get answers to your questions about Westport