We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Limerick - Where to Park?

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
249 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Limerick - Where to Park?

Hi there,

We will be doing a driving tour through Ireland, stopping for a short day trip in Limerick, and we are looking for a safe place to park our car. I've been reading Fodor's travel books and they mention a few times that leaving valuables in your car often leads to break ins. We obviously won't leave anything out in the open, but we will have our car filled with suitcases. I'm not sure if I'm reading too much into this or not, but regardless am still looking for the best, safest place to park the car and not be worried about it the whole time that we are in the city. Any information is appreciated; thanks!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
16,761 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Limerick - Where to Park?

Not often we take the car into Limerick these days but park on the Station car park or the Multi Storey by the quays behind Dunns Store. Never had a problem with cars parked in Ireland unlike the UK.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
24,031 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Limerick - Where to Park?

As in all locations, you need to be savvy about the way you park. Don't leave valuables exposed. However I park in Limerick City centre regularly, and touch wood, so far, have not had a problem.

There are quite a few car parks in Limerick City as well as on-street parking.

limerick.ie/visiting/…

My car park of choice would be the open air supervised car park in the Potato Market, beside St. Mary's Cathedral and the city court house. Its always very busy here with lots of Garda presence because of the courts.

Alternatively, Arthur's Quay or Harvey's Quay (mentioned by Tony above)

Denmark Street is also fine and central.

The car park behind the station mentioned by Tony is one to be avoided. Its very open and has poor supervision.

There is a lot of on-street parking. However I would avoid the on-street parking on Harvey's Quay (off street is fine) near the low bridge. I would also avoid parking on Mulgrave Street.

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
3,837 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Limerick - Where to Park?

I would suggest using one of the multi-storey car parks in the city. I always feel safer using them in any city if I have luggage in the car.

I usually use the one on Arthur's Quay and find it very convenient and safe.

As Bean says, don't leave your valuables exposed. I would do this no matter where I park in any town or city.

Like Bean, I park on the street in Limerick all the time and have never had a problem, but with suitcases I would take the extra precaution of using the multi-storey.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
249 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Limerick - Where to Park?

Thank you all for the information! I feel much better about this. :)

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Limerick - Where to Park?

I would suggest one of the citys multi-storiey reccomended above. however if you do decide to opt for onstreet parking during certain hours certain streets require you display a parking disk. These can be purchased in lots of shops in the city centre, and will mean you dont get a parking ticket.

Many of the routes into the city now have electronic signs displaying parking vacancy in all the multi-storey car parks which can help you decide where to park before you get into the city centre.

Enjoy your visit :-)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
95 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Limerick - Where to Park?

We, likewise had luggage in our car. We parked on the street as we felt a quiet multistory car park may present more opportunity for someone to break into our car. On the busy street we felt there were so many people passing by that this was less likely. Depends what you feel more comfortable with. Also, we tried to keep luggage covered with a dark coloured rug we had with us so they weren't as readily visible.

We just went into the closest shop & purchased our parking ticket where you scratch off the appropriate time & date. Just make sure you check the street signs so you know how long you can stay parked.

new york
Level Contributor
957 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Limerick - Where to Park?

Have a great time... I think either the milk market or Arthur's quay will be your best bet...wide spaces! I had a nightmare in Galway!

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
23,118 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to Limerick - Where to Park?

Another good example of why threads should be closed.

9. Re: Day trip to Limerick - Where to Park?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 07:46