We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on Castle Hotel dining

Eugene, Ore
Level Contributor
108 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on Castle Hotel dining

Hi. We would love to stay in a castle hotel while on the west coast,, but won't be able to. So, we hope to have either lunch or tea, or even just a drink. We will be near Galway City.. From there we head south to Dingle for several days,, then drive to Dublin . We'll have a car. 3 castles that look possible are Dromoland, Adare Manor, or Ballyseede. Can anyone comment on these? Which would you choose? Are there others between Galway and Dingle we could consider? Thanks for you help!

Urbana, Illinois
Level Contributor
29 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on Castle Hotel dining

I stayed at both Dromoland and Adare Manor in September 2010. I ate breakfast at both castles, included in our stay. I enjoyed a great dinner in the pub room at Dromoland. Great atmosphere and very good food. It was pricey!

Dromoland is a bigger and very elegant castle. Adare Manor is beautiful and they offer a guided tour of the castle which was very interesting to hear the history. If I had to choose which one to visit, my vote goes to Adare Manor. The town of Adare has some wonderful shops.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,468 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on Castle Hotel dining

By all means dine in a castle if you are there for atmosphere. If you are a foodie, however, the best food will be found in restaurants rather than castles (Adare and Dromoland are very over priced for the quality they offer)

Eugene, Ore
Level Contributor
108 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on Castle Hotel dining

Thanks 's so much for your replies! We're mostly going for the unique atmosphere.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,468 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on Castle Hotel dining

Of the three you have listed, I would opt for Dromoland

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,233 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on Castle Hotel dining

I would also opt for Dromoland. You could stop there for a drink and still be able to soak up the wonderful atmosphere.

They have a snack menu throughout the day if you don't mind paying a bit over the normal price.

I do think it is worth it though, especially as a one off treat.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,935 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on Castle Hotel dining

See response # 17 and 24 here for more on a recent visit to Dromoland Castle:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k52604…

Eugene, Ore
Level Contributor
108 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on Castle Hotel dining

Uasal,

Thanks so much for the reference to the Trip Report of March 2012.! The report was fascinating and very entertaining. I love the description of Dromoland Castle.

8. Re: Advice on Castle Hotel dining

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2013, 14:54