We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Hotel for Rugby near Thomand Park

Fermanagh, N...
Level Contributor
107 posts
203 reviews
Save Topic
Best Hotel for Rugby near Thomand Park

Hi,

planning a trip down to Limerick for start of May this year, to see Ulster beat Munster! Was looking a hotel with good parking within easy walking distance of Thomand Park stadium and the city centre. Any suggestions out there?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,921 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Hotel for Rugby near Thomand Park

Oh, you'll be waiting!!

In terms of hotels with good parking and near Thomond Park, The Strand Hotel on the Ennis Road is worth considering www.strandhotellimerick.ie

This is about 15 minutes walk from Thomond Park and 5 minutes walk from the city centre. Its a lovely hotel. And you'll be able to drown your sorrows in the excellent bar afterwards!!

If you are down for a few days, then the Rugby Museum in Thomond Park is well worth a look at. It has a lot of things including mementos of that historic win over the All Blacks in 1978.

Fermanagh, N...
Level Contributor
107 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Hotel for Rugby near Thomand Park

Thanks for the info, bar the hints at an unlikely result!

Will check it out.

Ta

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,025 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Hotel for Rugby near Thomand Park

I would agree with Bean's recommendation of the Strand Hotel.

It is a really good hotel and there is always a lively atmosphere when the Munster rugby games are on in Thomond Park.

Belfast
Level Contributor
124 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Hotel for Rugby near Thomand Park

12 fellow Ulstermen in the Jurys Inn for this match. About 15 minutes walk from the ground and very handy for town centre.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,577 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Hotel for Rugby near Thomand Park

I stayed in the Strand recently and found it very convenient for getting to and from Thomond Park. Unfortunately we only did not a tour of the stadium, didn't get to see a match, enjoy!

Fermanagh, N...
Level Contributor
107 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Hotel for Rugby near Thomand Park

Thanx for all the replies.

Any views on The Pier Hotel, at Sarsfield Bridge. Seemed like a compromise between the city centre and the stadium?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,921 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Hotel for Rugby near Thomand Park

Ulster-Wolf, I would be interested in how you find Jury's. Its not a hotel I will usually recommend. Its on a very busy roundabout. There is a throughfare between the front and the back of the hotel.

PartimeHoliday, The Pier has recently been reopened as a hotel again. Its actually IN the city centre, being on the South side of the River. It is beside Sarsfield Bridge. It is very close to Peter Clohessy's Pub which is a big rugby pub. Just be careful at the steps going down off the bridge beside the hotel when its dark.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
25,120 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Hotel for Rugby near Thomand Park

If you've not booked yet, you're in one of these two.

www.lakesidehotel.ie/

www.dunravenhotel.com/

And I'm not partisan.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,921 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Hotel for Rugby near Thomand Park

Kimmage - far too far away. Particularly on Easter Sunday!!

Nice hotels but they are both a very long distance from Thomond Park. The Lakeside is in Ballina, Co. Tipperary. The Dunraven in Adare.

In both cases people would need to drive to the outskirts, and get a Park and Ride bus.

I'd far prefer to take my chances in the city / suburbs. Its a rugby match, not a society wedding.

Edited: 04 April 2012, 14:01
Fermanagh, N...
Level Contributor
107 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Hotel for Rugby near Thomand Park

Thanx .

Mr Bean- sounds ominous. Sounds like I had better bring an a guard (or Garda) with me. Too late now- booked it.

Whats the worst could happen!!