We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Killarney

Newtown, Connecticut
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Killarney

I am visiting Ireland for 10 days in June. My tentative itinerary is to drive from Dublin and spend 1 night in Kilkenny. Drive to Killarney and spend 4 nights. Drive to Gallway and spend 3 nights and finally back to Dublin for 2 nights.

Is this too much driving? I would like o use Killarney as a base and do some day trips before heading to Galway. Also, do I need my rental car in Dublin? Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Michele

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,974 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Killarney

Take a look at www2.aaireland.ie/ to get an overview of distances and estimated times.

I don't think this is too much driving, I think its a nicely thought out itinerary. And no you don't need your car in Dublin, in fact you are probably better off without it.

In terms of day trips from Killarney, you could drive the Ring of Kerry one day, drive to Dingle and do the Ring of Dingle another day and spend one day visiting Muckross Abbey, Muckross House and Gardens and Torc Waterfall.

Your final day could be taken up with driving to Kenmare and then driving the Beara Peninsula or ambling about generally.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,393 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Killarney

No need for a car in Dublin. The way you have split the days is fine unless you want to split the drive from Killarney to Galway

Newtown, Connecticut
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Killarney

Thank you for your response - very helpful.

Canada
Level Contributor
72 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Killarney

mlogs81 - We have a very similar itinerary. I second Bean A's advice as it matches our planned Killarney visit almost identically. The only difference - my children (adults) really want to go to Skellig Michael so that will account for our final day. Enjoy your planning - it's part of fun!

Killarney, Ireland
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Killarney

The skellig michel may not be open to the public - make sure you check before traveling down there. There is a fab chocolate factory at St Finians bay ' skelligs chocolate' well worth a visit

Killarney, Ireland
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Killarney

The skellig michel may not be open to the public - make sure you check before traveling down there. There is a fab chocolate factory at St Finians bay ' skelligs chocolate' well worth a visit

7. Re: Killarney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 11:46
Get answers to your questions about Killarney