We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wi Fi internet in Ireland

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
96 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Wi Fi internet in Ireland

I am visiting UK and Ireland next month for 4 weeks. I am bringing my laptop which I use in Aust with wirless internet.

My inquiry is what would be the best way to use the internet on the laptop. I have considered a dongle with a local UK provider for the month as I am coming from UK but have little knowledge of this option.

Interested in your thougths on my options and the availability of WiFi in Ireland generally. We drive from Dublin to Galway to Dingle Bay to Waterford and back to Dublin over 6 days.

Thank you in advance Darcy

Galway,Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wi Fi internet in Ireland

I wouldnt bother with a dongle as they are pretty temperamental and not always reliable. You can get free wifi in most hotels, pubs and cafes here too so i think you would be fine. Local libraries also have free wifi which you can use after joining for a nominal fee.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,729 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wi Fi internet in Ireland

WiFi is widely available unless you get remote.

UK and IE providers wear the same badge but are totally different animals.

I am not sure if there is such an animal as an unlocked Dongle so you could use different sim cards as you would in a phone?

For Ireland with a UK provider try "3" they do have some overlap but it would probably be a case of using Accommodation/Mc Donald's/other available wifi.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
300 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wi Fi internet in Ireland

I used my laptop on my last trip to London and Ireland without issue. Was able to keep up with local news back home, even watched streamed local newscast from Maine. All the B&Bs and hotels that I booked had free wifi. It seemed that many cafes and restaurants also offered free wifi. Even some of the pubs offered free wifi. I would not bother with the dongle unless you need to use your laptop while on the road.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
96 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wi Fi internet in Ireland

Thank you to all who responded. Very much appreciated.

Will travel and locate free WiFi or pay if necessary. This was very helpful advice. Darcy

5. Re: Wi Fi internet in Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 02:13