We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

public transport vs. renting a car

Denver, Colorado
3 posts
Save Topic
public transport vs. renting a car

My son and I have four days to explore southern Ireland to make our way from Galway to Dublin. We will have already spent time in both cities. Should we rent a car, which I am very nervous about the opposite side of the car/road thing, or can we make our way enough through public transportation/local tours?

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,633 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: public transport vs. renting a car

I'm a little confused about the Dublin and Galway city bit. Do you mean you don't want to visit either of those cities this time?

Or, that you wouldn't mind staying in them but taking Day Tours from either or both? Or, you want to do Day Trips from elsewhere. Kilkenny, for example?

It would also help if we knew the date of your visit and an idea of both your interests.

On the car rental front, would you be the only one driving, or, is your son of an age where he could share the driving?

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: public transport vs. renting a car

you don need a car in either Dublin or Galway city, and links between the two are easy by public transport. And both fo have a selection of day trips available so it is quite possible. However, I would hire a car,as I cant stand bus trips! Do whatever suits you.

Denver, Colorado
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: public transport vs. renting a car

We fly into Dublin, spend 3 days in Dublin, then are going to the Galway Arts Festival along with exploring the Cliffs of Moher and the Burren while in Galway for 3 nights. We have a hotel in Galway till July 18th and another one near the Dublin airport on July 21 to fly out the 22nd. We want to explore the Dingle Peninsula/areas around Cork--Kinsale/Cobh. We would enjoy hiking, seeing some historical places, visiting the coast and beautiful scenery. My son is 18 and I would be the only one driving.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,920 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: public transport vs. renting a car

So you have the 19th and 20th to see Dingle, Cork and back to Dublin. Then you will need to hire a car or drop Dingle because Galway to Dingle by bus will take all day, Dingle to Cork will take over 1/2 day. You could go Galway to Cork for 2nights then train back to Dublin.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,411 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: public transport vs. renting a car

Don't be nervous about driving here. If you can drive in Denver, you can drive in Ireland.

Do you drive a manual car in Denver? It would help if you did, but not absolutely necessary

Denver, Colorado
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: public transport vs. renting a car

I don't have a manual right now, but had one for 15 years. I guess I am being more and more convinced that renting a car is the way to go to give us the freedom to see everything we want to see and not waste so much time on buses. I've been watching videos, etc on youtube to get an idea. Do you think renting a GPS system is worth the extra bucks? I don't use one here at home, I just use my cell phone, but with my teenage son as a quasi-navigator, I may want some extra help.

Waterford, New York
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: public transport vs. renting a car

When I arranged for my rental through Dooley I put automatic transmission and got confirmation in my e-mail. I should be good right??

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,411 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: public transport vs. renting a car

Broomfields. Personally, I don't bother with a GPS, but I live here, so there's a difference.

I could say rent the GPS if it is a reasonable cost, but factor in 'getting-used-to-GPS' time. If you have not used one before it can take a day or two to become accustomed to it's operation.

MacMag, I would not be certain that you will get an automatic when you arrive here from Dooley. The email confirmation from them will mean nothing if you are standing at the desk in Shannon/Dublin and they don't have an automatic in stock.

Get someone with a manual to run through the gear changes with you before you leave home. (Just in Case !)

Waterford, New York
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: public transport vs. renting a car

Would I be better changing to Hertz or another rental company? I dont want to have a manual, too old to try and learn that now. Thanks for the help!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,920 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: public transport vs. renting a car

You should be fine with the booking you have. The vast majority of the very few complaints that Dooleys get on this site evolve from package deals not individual bookings.

Get answers to your questions about Galway
Recent Conversations