We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How best to return to Dublin - Drive or Train/Bus?

Massapequa, New York
Level Contributor
56 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
How best to return to Dublin - Drive or Train/Bus?

I'm debating how is best to return to Dublin. We're going to pick up our car at the Dublin Airport, venture around Ireland for a few days, and end up in Galway before returning to Dublin. It seems like, at a minimum, the drive from Galway to Dublin Airport will take around 2.5 hours, and then from the Airport to City Center will take another 40 minutes. I understand that will traffic, etc this could be much longer. The direct train is only about 2 hrs and 15 mins right to the city center. Seems like this may be the better option possibly? I know it may be a little more expensive, but if it's going to save us some time I think it may be worth it. Thoughts?

Also, I saw the Budget's location is right in the city center of Galway, but others (like Enterprise) are more on the outskirts. How would we get from the Enterprise location to the Galway train station? Taxi? Or would Enterprise be able to handle this?

Thanks in advance!

Best Seller
Cliffs of Moher, Galway, Wild...
1,206 Reviews
from US$ 53.90*
Best Seller
Aran Islands, Cliffs of Moher Day...
421 Reviews
from US$ 47.90*
Galway, Limerick, Cliffs of Moher...
860 Reviews
from US$ 142.50*
8 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How best to return to Dublin - Drive or Train/Bus?

Try this link https://m.gobus.ie really good bus service and way cheaper and just ad comfortable as the train.

Galway,Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,800 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How best to return to Dublin - Drive or Train/Bus?

GoBus or Citylink are better options for going to Dublin, train leaves you needing to get another journey into the city centre.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
21,342 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How best to return to Dublin - Drive or Train/Bus?

Enterprise dropped me off at the Meyrick Hotel, a minutes walk to the Céannt Station I took the train to Heuston Station.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,944 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How best to return to Dublin - Drive or Train/Bus?

Drop the car in Galway and use the train/bus to get to Dublin

Massapequa, New York
Level Contributor
56 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How best to return to Dublin - Drive or Train/Bus?

Thanks for your replies. Leaning towards doing as many have suggested and dropping the car off in Galway and taking train/bus to get back to Dublin! Seems like Budget may be the best bet as their office is right in the Galway city center.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
9,181 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How best to return to Dublin - Drive or Train/Bus?

If you choose the train, make sure to book the tickets online and in advance - up to 90 days ahead of travel - which are quoted here as one way (single):

http://www.irishrail.ie/webfares

However, as already stated, if you are going directly to Dublin Airport ahead of a flight the following day for example,

any of the buses mentioned, are much more convenient, with no need to book in advance:

https:/…to-from-the-airport

The private coaches (buses) leave Galway from the Coach Station (2 on map); the train and Bus Eireann buses from Station Road (f on map) in Galway:

http://www.townmaps.ie/galway.html

Massapequa, New York
Level Contributor
56 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How best to return to Dublin - Drive or Train/Bus?

Hi Everyone -

You've all been more than helpful, and I really appreciate the responses. I'm going to try to be greedy here and ask 2 more questions. Thanks again in advance!

1) As mentioned above, I think we're going to use Budget (pickup in Dublin airport, drop off in Galway city). I booked an automatic compact car (Toyota Auris) for 4 days with a base rate of 293 euro. I then added on an additional driver and took out the excess reduction for a total of 414 euro. Is this a good/decent deal?

2) Also, there's going to be 3 of us. I also booked a full size car (Ford Mondeo) at 443 euro total. I would prefer the smaller car if possible, just because I think it would be easier to maneuver around, but I'm just concerned about our luggage and all of us fitting comfortably. We plan on all having carry-on suitcases and another backpack type of bag each. Any thoughts on which size we should go for?

Kildare
Level Contributor
608 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How best to return to Dublin - Drive or Train/Bus?

Personally, I'd go for the slightly larger Mondeo. The width difference is minimal, and you'll all be more comfortable with presumably more space (although I'm not familiar with the boot (trunk) size in the Mondeo).

While some of the more rural roads here might feel comparatively narrow to some visitors, they are accommodate large trucks and regular sized cars every day.

Edited: 23 June 2018, 00:59
Reply to: How best to return to Dublin - Drive or Train/Bus?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Galway
Recent Conversations