We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salt Hill

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Salt Hill

Is this a good area to stay in socially? Is it far from Galway's City Center?

ireland
Level Contributor
171 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salt Hill

There are plenty of pubs and restaurants in Salthill and it's also the home of the county's main GAA pitch so you might get to catch a game. It's only a couple of miles from the city centre.

ireland
Level Contributor
88 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salt Hill

hi there,

salthill is definately a good place to stay. its just on the edge of the city and beside the beach. if you are looking for somewhere to stay the galway bay hotel is great and ask for a sea view. there is also a lovely promanade to walk along in the evenings whick is beside the sea. you are also just 20 mins or so walk from town.

i recommend a pint of guinness in o'connors bar in salthill its a great place. by far the best pub in salthill. if you are out in town i recommend the kings head and the quays bar. for restaurants i would say pierre's on quay street, opp quays bar.also, cookes restaurant is great and lemongrass....i could go on and on. if you need more info just post it and ill get back to you.

enjoy your trip, im sure you'll have a great time.

Pennsylvania, US
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Salt Hill

Hi...

I just noticed this post and have a few questions myself regarding Salt Hill:

We will be in the Galway/Salt Hill area for 3 nights this June when we visit Ireland. I'm trying to decide if we should stay in Salt Hill or Galway; we'll plan to visit the other whatever we choose. I guess my question is What are the pros and cons of staying in each (ie which is more expensive, which is more touristy, which has more to do, etc). I'd appreciate any help!

Thanks,

emartin

ireland
Level Contributor
171 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salt Hill

Salthill is a part of Galway city, just a couple of miles from the city centre, so there's no big difference in prices.

CRC
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Salt Hill

We stayed in a B&B in Salthill, Clare Villa, on Threadneedle Road. Very nice - I would recommend it. Right across the street was the bus stop where you could take the bus to Galway city center for 1.25 euros. After a night of partying, a cab back to the B&B was only 8 euros or so. The buses don't run after a certain hour, and you DO NOT want to try to drive and park anywhere near the city center.

Pennsylvania, US
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Salt Hill

Thanks for the advice!

Another questions just occured to me-- do many B&Bs offer parking for rental cars? We'll be renting a car in Dublin and keeping it for the duration of our trip (not while in Dublin though). Is parking at a B&B free (dare I suggest this??)?

CRC
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Salt Hill

Yes, there will be parking for free at all B&Bs. I never saw one that didn't have parking.

letterkenny, co...
Level Contributor
266 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Salt Hill

the waterfront hotel in salthill is excellent for groups or families. we stayed there on a trip to galway and for myself, my husband, and one of our sons we were given two adjoining rooms with a bathroom (full sized bath and shower). i noticed you can actually extend into further adjoining rooms for bigger groups. the rooms had table, chairs, tv, tea/coffee making facilities, etc. and all the bedrooms (some of the adjoining rooms do not as they are like living rooms with a fold out bed) have magnificent views over galway bay. the bus leaves for the city from the front doors step and is very cheap. taxis are cheap into the centre of galway too (it is really only a couple of minutes in a taxi). they have a website and you can check the prices there but i think they offer very good value for groups and families.

Pennsylvania, US
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Salt Hill

Thanks so much, everyone, for your suggestions...they are all very helpful to me. I am compiling a spreadsheet with all of the data I have read on it and from this forum alone, I have so many good ideas and advice.... THANKS!!