We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suggestions for biking around Clifden

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
204 posts
36 reviews
suggestions for biking around Clifden

I'm planning to spend a day biking from Clifden later this month---perhaps to the Sky Road and/or Roundstone. I'm wondering if I should be renting a regular hybrid bike or an electric bike. Are the roads around Clifden steep and/or very hilly? I'm a pretty regular bike rider but am not used to long distance biking on hills.

Any thoughts on type of bike or particularly nice routes would be appreciated.

5 replies to this topic
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
4,209 posts
70 reviews
1. Re: suggestions for biking around Clifden

I’m no expert on this, but I’d suggest that in case he doesn’t come online and see it that you send a direct message to Damian120. He probably knows most about both Connemara and Cycling around here.

Galway, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Connemara, The Burren, Galway, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
102 reviews
2. Re: suggestions for biking around Clifden

(Thanks Blackgreen, it's a cycling question so I could answer these all day.) :-)

Remy123,

Clifden-based All Things Connemara do the electric bike hire and the hybrids. They also provide some good cycling routes too. The route below can be done over two days if you are including the jaunt over to Omey Island.

https://allthingsconnemara.ie/

Some great viewing points off the route are detailed at Errislann. And well worth the detour over to view Bunowen Castle from the road. It's on private property so unfortunately no access.

The Bog Road is detailed here as well and the area is now a source of fascination for local historians after the recent dry spell. The lakes have lost a lot of their moisture content and have revealed some remarkable archaeological sites, including many undiscovered Crannogs.

The Sky Road is a must. For a sense of adventure you could also cycle over to Claddaghduff from Clifden and cycle over to Omey Island at low-tide. I'd highly recommend doing this, it's a wonderful, wonderful experience and make sure you bring a small picnic. It doesn't get any better. The Galway Tides website is listed below.

https://goo.gl/cZuiwJ ---- The main loop leaves Clifden to Roundstone and back via the Bog Road. There are some minor hills throughout, mainly the Sky Road but nothing you can't handle.

https:/…galway-tide-times

Kildare
Level Contributor
624 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: suggestions for biking around Clifden

I'll second Damian's Omey Island suggestion. The Strand Bar in Claddaghduff has a shop attached, if you want to pick up supplies for a picnic. They also do good food if you would rather eat on your return.

Galway, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Connemara, The Burren, Galway, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
102 reviews
4. Re: suggestions for biking around Clifden

+1 Von_10

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
204 posts
36 reviews
5. Re: suggestions for biking around Clifden

Great, thanks so much for the suggestions. I'm really looking forward to my trip and just wish I had more time in the area.

Reply to: suggestions for biking around Clifden
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about County Galway