We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire in Ireland

Sydney, Australia
7 posts
Save Topic
Car hire in Ireland

We are a group of four adults spending 2-3 days in Dublin and then taking a self-drive 12 day holiday in Ireland in September. We will have 4 large suitacases plus 4 cabin bags as on an extended holiday.

Can't see any recent posts in the Forum re car hire, except advice to collect from Dublin Airport when leaving the city.

Any suggestions for car make and companies with most reasonable car hire rates?

Appreciate your advice.

Maggie

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,132 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire in Ireland

We've rented with Hertz on two occasions in Ireland and it has worked out well for us. Hertz is one of the car rental companies regularly recommended on the Ireland forum.

However, I see a problem with finding a vehicle large enough for your luggage. Our family of 4 adults got a "Standard" car from Hertz a few years ago. There was plenty of room for the passengers, but the trunk (boot) was barely large enough for our 4 carry-on bags (all that we had). There is no way it would have accommodated 4 large suitcases in addition. I did a quick look at the fleet of vehicles available at Hertz in Dublin and the Standard Passenger Van might work provided you put all the luggage in the rear seat, but then the luggage will be visible. Also, driving a passenger van on some small Irish roads might be a challenge as well.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire in Ireland

I hired a car twice in Ireland in the last 4 months. First was with Europcar at Cork Airport driving down Bantry / Mizen head way. Four friends with baggage and we had an small car which was cheapest, if I recall it was the opel corsa car. This was a little tight with couple tall lads but manageable.

Secondly Thrifty car from Dublin Airport. I hired a small car for two girls. A nice car, nissan. We hired a GPS for the weekend. Smooth experience and the staff were friendly. They say the Irish are friendly!

I had no problems with both companies and would recommend either. Also would recommend a large family car? Not sure about a van tho, not ideal on some roads. Depends where you go I guess.

Having experienced driving in south west Ireland, some roads are quite narrow and country like. So bear that in mind.

Have a great time!

Sydney, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire in Ireland

Thanks for the information. Yes we will collect a car at Dublin airport and return to the same depot. Hertz have a Peugot 5008 which seats 7 so we could put luggage on back seat and cover it wit something. (We will also have a 5th passengr for a few days of our holiday). Sounds like it will be a challenge on some of the narrow roads but can't se an alterntive for us.

Thanks again.

Now will post questions re accommodation in Trinity College Dublin, and car hire in Scotland/England so if you have any info please look for these questions.

4. Re: Car hire in Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 May 2013, 18:00
Edited: 09 May 2013, 18:00
Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire in Ireland

Since you hail from OZ, the RHD shouldn't be an issue. I have a Peugeot 5800 reserved for our family trip, this coming June. I THINK it has a retractable cover for the luggage area, but I'm not sure.

Other options might be an Opel Zafira or a slightly larger Ford Galaxy.

The Peugeot and Opel are NOT all that big. I've driven the VW Caravelle and even a Mercedes Vito over large parts of Ireland (as well as numerous compact and mid-size vehicles) without mishap. Smaller IS easier but a mid-sized vehicle, like the Opel or the Peugeot shouldn't be too stressful.

Bob

Edited: 09 May 2013, 17:57
6. Re: Car hire in Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 May 2013, 19:05
Edited: 09 May 2013, 19:05
Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
9,110 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car hire in Ireland

Check out the car rental page at Dublin airport site dublinairport.com/gns/…car-rentals.aspx that will give you an overview of the companies operating there. Try a few dummy bookings to compare prices.

I suggest a thorough search on the forum here (surprised that you didn't find much recent - it comes up every day!) - many people hiring in Ireland are surprised by the specially high Excess amount on standard CDW insurance (often around EUR2000). The cost (Super cover) of reducing this to near zero often doubles the cost of the hire. If you don't get the super cover then the hirers may put a reserve on your credit card for the Excess amount.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
6,659 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car hire in Ireland

Post over a year old - they have been here and back by now.

Brooklyn, New York
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Car hire in Ireland

My husband and I had a very bad experience with Europcar in Cork several years ago. We dropped off the car and flew home. A couple days later, the company sent us some clearly photoshopped pictures of a similar car to the one we had rented with its tire popping off. The sender was demanding $500 to pay for damages. This was clearly not the car we had rented and the photo was clearly doctored.

We told the sender that we were reporting them to local authorities for fraud and the demand was dropped. We never heard from them again. Shortly afterward, our friend in Ireland said they had attempted the same exact scam on him. Beware!

Cheltenham
Level Contributor
2 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car hire in Ireland

Avoid Dollar Thrifty. A lot of hidden charges and rude staff. I'd stick to one of the better known, more reputable companies.