We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guiness Storehouse & Kilmainham Gaol

Malta
Level Contributor
55 posts
16 reviews
Guiness Storehouse & Kilmainham Gaol

Are these attractions within walking distance (say 30 min walk) from Dublin centre (Abbey Street Lower/Custom House area)?

If they are not what is the best way to get to them. I understand they are both roughly in the same area.

Thanks.

Best Seller
Cliffs of Moher Tour Including Wild...
1,257 Reviews
from US$ 52.90*
Best Seller
Northern Ireland Highlights Day Trip...
1,050 Reviews
from US$ 76.50*
Best Seller
Book of Kells Early Access Tour with...
253 Reviews
from US$ 57.60*
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,608 posts
182 reviews
1. Re: Guiness Storehouse & Kilmainham Gaol

It would take you at least an hour to walk from Custom House Quay to Kilmainham Gaol, a little less to The Guinness Storehouse.

You could take the 51C 51B or 78A bus from Aston Quay in the city centre to Kilmainham Goal and then walk the 20 minutes to The Guinness Storehouse. Coming back into the city centre any bus on James's St will take you back in.

Both locations are connected by the HOHO bus.

Malta
Level Contributor
55 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: Guiness Storehouse & Kilmainham Gaol

Thank you.

Connecticut, USA
Level Contributor
514 posts
3. Re: Guiness Storehouse & Kilmainham Gaol

You could walk to Guinness and then to Kilmainham, but it would be tiring and not particularly scenic. Google maps provides a walking option, but they assume that one walks slowly. The two sights you mentioned really aren't in the same area, so Dolly's transportation advice is sound. Taxis are also an option. A taxi for our family of four was often not much more money than four bus fares. I pasted below something I had written earlier.

We walked to St. Michan's from the Trinity College area. The walk was not through a particularly scenic area. We then proceeded to walk to Collins Barracks and the Guinness factory and then back to city center. We were kind of dragging by the end of our self-guided tour! (It was a particularly warm and sunny day.) The route you are contemplating is a lot of walking. I walk five miles every day at home but the area we covered in Dublin just was not particularly pretty, and the walk seems longer when you are carrying a camera and jacket.

Malta
Level Contributor
55 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: Guiness Storehouse & Kilmainham Gaol

It does seem that walking isn't the best option especially as we only have limited time in Dublin before heading to the west coast and we want to make the most of our trip. From what you say it isn't a scenic or particularly interesting walk either.

Appreciate your advice. Its difficult to get a grasp on the logistics when trying to plan from afar what to do in in a totally unfamiliar city.

Connecticut, USA
Level Contributor
514 posts
5. Re: Guiness Storehouse & Kilmainham Gaol

I haven't taken the HoHo bus in Dublin. We had just used it in London and didn't feel like using it in Dublin, as we had visited Dublin twice before. It might be worth looking into. I think I recall reading that the bus ticket included the air express coach from the airport (I may have the name wrong), so if you were not picking a car up at the airport upon arrival, you would need a way into the city. Once you set foot on the air coach, your HoHo ticket is activated, and the 24 hour use window starts ticking down. Just something to consider.

There are TONS of helpful people on this site who will happily give you specific advice, so you may want to outline what you are considering, and others will then chime in with their travel thoughts. For example, state where you are staying, how long you will be there and your method of transport to next destination. You may receive conflicting advice, but you can then decide!

We picked up our rental car at Dublin airport and just parked it at our hotel unused for three days because the cost of the additional three days' rental was no more than airport round trip transportation cost for our family of four. This wouldn't work if you were staying in the center of the city where parking rates are high. Happy travels.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
204 reviews
6. Re: Guiness Storehouse & Kilmainham Gaol

its not the nicest of walks but from city centre to Kilmainham would take you 45 mins at a reasonable pace. Might be an option to walk there and take the bus back or vice versa.

Best bus to take would be 79 from Aston's Quay as it stops right outside the Gaol, bus 78a/51b and 51c will leave you around the corner from the Gaol. Note that the 51b and 51c no longer depart from Aston's Quay - they leave from Hawkins Street and dont go near the Quays.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,608 posts
182 reviews
7. Re: Guiness Storehouse & Kilmainham Gaol

Thanks for the update Katy, I forgot about that! :-)

Dublin, Ireland
5 posts
8. Re: Guiness Storehouse & Kilmainham Gaol

For the Guinness Storehouse I'd recommend getting the 123 bus towards Kilnamanagh Road from O'Connell Street, this bus stops right beside the storehouse and the journey is roughly 10minutes if there's traffic. It's walkable, but James' Street definitely isn't the nicest of areas for tourists to be walking around.

Malta
Level Contributor
55 posts
16 reviews
9. Re: Guiness Storehouse & Kilmainham Gaol

Thanks again. I like the HOHO bus idea especially as we were thinking of taking the air coach from the airport and it seems a good thing to do with having limited time in Dublin (one full day at each end of the trip). We are not picking up a rental car until we get to Galway.

Isle of Man
Level Contributor
204 posts
53 reviews
10. Re: Guiness Storehouse & Kilmainham Gaol

I would recommend the HOHO bus, you may have a short wait for the next one to come along but its the easiest way to see a quick view of the city and those sites which you want to visit, Its a pretty reasonable price too.