We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holyhead to dublin on ulyssess ferry and back

London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Holyhead to dublin on ulyssess ferry and back

Hello people

I plan on travelling up from london euston on train to holyhead and catching ferry to dublin on ulyssess but being aware that the irish sea is notorious for rough weather and not being particular keen on flying, when from peoples knowledge is the irish sea likely to be better to trave across? i mean in which month is there normally calmer waters , less rain and winds likely? I plan to go in may, june, july or august

Thanks

Best Seller
Cliffs of Moher Tour Including Wild...
1,204 Reviews
from US$ 53.50*
Best Seller
Northern Ireland Highlights Day Trip...
1,011 Reviews
from US$ 77.30*
Best Seller
Book of Kells Early Access Tour with...
237 Reviews
from US$ 52.30*
england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holyhead to dublin on ulyssess ferry and back

any of those months should be fine, the Ulysses is so big you don't know you are at sea, she is as well stabilised as a cruise liner.

You are best to avoid the sick cats. sorry fast cats.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
20,113 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holyhead to dublin on ulyssess ferry and back

The Ulysses or Stena line Adventurer and Nordica are well able to handle all the Irish sea can throw at them all year so no worries on that count.

Don't get conned into Club Class it's just not worth it. And what should and usually is a pleasant experience is marred only by extortionate food and beverage prices and mid range customer service. I will be using Stena as is now usual next month and taking sandwiches.

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,363 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holyhead to dublin on ulyssess ferry and back

You are right that the Irish Sea is notorious but that means that it can be rough any time of year,if you are concerned with reliability of sailing avoid fast craft sailings as they are more likely to suffer,as has been said the Ulysses & the Stena Adventurer & Nordica are fine vessels,if you are really worried plump for the Ulysses,I recently read that in all her time on the Irish sea she has never had a sailing cancelled due to the weather-impressive!

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
9,281 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holyhead to dublin on ulyssess ferry and back

The 50,000 ton 'Ulysses' is all-weather reliable and is rock steady in most conditions. In summer it's likely to be OK anyway.

I really doubt you have anything to worry about if you're on the ship rather than the Swift fast craft.

Have you managed to find details of the £33 London-Dublin 'SailRail' combined train & ferry ticket OK?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
20,113 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holyhead to dublin on ulyssess ferry and back

The "Man in Seat 61" is linked to Irish ferries and is a good web site for sorting rail and sail. My daughter uses it, I recommend it ... until I used the service myself, which is why I personally chose Stena for all my ferry travel between Ireland and the UK.

Sailing close to the wind by not actually linking his site I will do it for him

http://www.seat61.com/

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
9,281 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holyhead to dublin on ulyssess ferry and back

Just to clarify, www.irishferries.com is good for one-way or return tickets starting in ireland (with ticket collection in Dublin or post to irish addresses), but use www.raileasy.co.uk or www.thetrainline.com for journeys starting at the British end (ticket collection at British stations or send to UK addresses). It's all to do with the ticket delivery options.

7. Re: Holyhead to dublin on ulyssess ferry and back

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 18:45