We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Horribly touristy question @ restaurants (Binchy/Quentins)

USA
2 posts
Save Topic
Horribly touristy question @ restaurants (Binchy/Quentins)

Will be traveling to Dublin in June with my mother, who is a huge fan of Maeve Binchy's novels. She keeps talking about finding the restaurant on which Quentin's restaurant is based, if there is such a thing.

If you are familiar with the book, please help my sanity and prospects for a successful trip and recommend a reasonable facsimilie! Thanx.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,485 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Horribly touristy question @ restaurants (Binchy/Quentins)

Why not go one better. When in Dublin hop on the DART train at Tara street station or Pearse street station and travel out along the coast to the village of Dalkey. About a half hour on the train. Just down from the train station is a nice pub called Finnegans. www.finnegans.ie You often see Maeve and her husband having a lunch or afternoon drink here. She lives just up the road. I am sure that this would be a nice treat for your mother even if Maeve is not there..

The story might also be based on one or other of the pubs in Dalkey. Hey! Why not make a day of it and visit them all!

www.dalkeyvillage.com/dalkeypubs.php

USA
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Horribly touristy question @ restaurants (Binchy/Quentins)

Thanks for the suggestion. Don't think we'll have time, as we'll only be in Dublin for 2.5 days, but I'll keep it in mind if it works out on our way to Wicklow.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,434 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Horribly touristy question @ restaurants (Binchy/Quentins)

oh take the trip out there...it's only half an hour away, and believe me if you have two and a half days for dublin you want miss taking a half day, or a whole day for that matter, to possibly see your mom's beloved writer.....

i love maeve binchy too....i would sure trade some time in dublin for that opportunity....

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,510 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Horribly touristy question @ restaurants (Binchy/Quentins)

Yes, and if Maeve is not in the pub you could find out where she sits and scrape her DNA into a test tube. Then if you knew some scientest well enough, God knows what might happen.........

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,434 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Horribly touristy question @ restaurants (Binchy/Quentins)

bryno.....hehehehehe...you are so silly....hehehehe...

6. Re: Horribly touristy question @ restaurants (Binchy/Quentins)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 12:58