We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin one day trip or cheapish hotel near theatre

Level Contributor
36 posts
10 reviews
Dublin one day trip or cheapish hotel near theatre

Hi, I'm looking at booking a show and undecided whether to do a day trip or stay over for one night this summer, but all hotels seem to be pretty pricey for a family of four. Any recommendations would be appreciated. I was also looking at the option of an early flight into Dublin and late flight back to Manchester. Is there regular buses to and from the airport and roughly how long does it take? Looking at a 7pm show and flight at 10pm...Is this cutting it fine to make it back to airport?

Sorry so many questions, never been before and just want to work out the best option.

TIA x

10 replies to this topic
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
10,882 posts
228 reviews
1. Re: Dublin one day trip or cheapish hotel near theatre

Hi

Gosh don't even consider a 10pm flight for a 7pm show. You wouldnt make that - ideally you need to be back in Dub 2 hours before departure.

Dublin hotels are generally busy these days so a 'cheap' hotel probably won't happen - tell us what hotels have come up within your budget when you searched and we can help you decide.

Edited: 12 June 2018, 14:58
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
367 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: Dublin one day trip or cheapish hotel near theatre

Dubfam is right, there's no way on earth you'd make that 10pm flight - the show might not even be over til 9.30pm or so!

What theatre/venue is the show in? We could then suggest some hotels or B&Bs that would suit both that, and getting back to the airport the following day.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
5,046 posts
212 reviews
3. Re: Dublin one day trip or cheapish hotel near theatre

Really depends which theatre you're going to?

Level Contributor
36 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Dublin one day trip or cheapish hotel near theatre

It's the Gaiety Theatre. Sorry didn't realise there was more than one lol.

Level Contributor
36 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: Dublin one day trip or cheapish hotel near theatre

Sorry it's the Gaiety Theatre

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
861 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: Dublin one day trip or cheapish hotel near theatre

Are you going to Riverdance? Would a matinee performance suit? Could have something to eat afterwards and then head for the airport.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
5,046 posts
212 reviews
7. Re: Dublin one day trip or cheapish hotel near theatre

Would you be OK with staying a 15 - 20 min walk from the Gaiety? (Or 5 min in a taxi)

If so check out Schoolhouse Hotel and Roxford Lodge hotel, both in Ballsbridge.

There is also Travel Lodge Stephen's Green, Stauntons on the Green and a few others along Leeson St and Fitzwilliam Sq which would be within walking distance.

Level Contributor
36 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: Dublin one day trip or cheapish hotel near theatre

Yes the riverdance. Flights are slightly dearer on a weekend, so thought maybe a weekday would be an option with a stop over. I'd rather pay for a hotel, then dearer flights and enjoy dublin with it being our first visit. Thanks

Level Contributor
36 posts
10 reviews
9. Re: Dublin one day trip or cheapish hotel near theatre

Thank you so much. That's really helpful! I shall have a look at these. Yes, walking is fine...It's the best way to see any city. 😊

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
40,332 posts
660 reviews
10. Re: Dublin one day trip or cheapish hotel near theatre

Stay the night for sure, I wouldn't book a flight unless it was midnight or so.

Reply to: Dublin one day trip or cheapish hotel near theatre
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted