We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive to RDS from Shillelagh

Niceville, Florida
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Drive to RDS from Shillelagh

I would like to know if there is an easy route to get to the RDS from County Wicklow. We will be in a cottage near Shillelagh, and were considering taking the train rather than driving, because I didn't want to get into heavy traffic if possible. I have driven in Ireland before, but have avoided all larger cities (especially Dublin) because of the traffic and close proximity of buses and such. Is there a "back way" or easier route to take from Shillelagh to the RDS? Google maps can only tell you so much.

14 replies to this topic
5 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Drive to RDS from Shillelagh

Thanks for the help Elibel. I think we will opt for the DART at Greystones. Less expensive than Irish Rail and we could use our Leap Card we can get at the airport on arrival. I think that there is a DART train every 15 minutes, so open to catch a later one...or am I wrong on that? How early should we try to get to Greystones to get a parking space and a seat? Need to be at RDS by 9:30 AM.

12. Re: Drive to RDS from Shillelagh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 16 October 2017, 03:22

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,261 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Drive to RDS from Shillelagh

DART trains run every 30 mins from Greystones. If you go one stop closer to Bray trains are every 15mins or less. I suggest parking in Bray and taking the DART train from Bray to Sandymount. There is a car park in Bray

Note that Irish Rail also operate the DART and all Dublin Commuter rail services

www.irishrail.ie for schedules. Use the journey planner

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,368 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Drive to RDS from Shillelagh

All about Greystones Station, including Parking, Accessibility and Live Train Updates:

irishrail.ie/travel-information/greystones

DART Timetable from Greystones:

www.irishrail.ie/media/01-greystonesdone1.pdf

Map of DART Stations:

dublintourist.com/maps/…

Directions from Sandymount DART station to the RDS:

https:/…Directions-from-Train-Stations

Edit:

Details re Bray station, if you choose that option:

www.irishrail.ie/travel-information/bray-daly

Edited: 16 October 2017, 03:32
Reply to: Drive to RDS from Shillelagh