We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive to RDS from Shillelagh

Niceville, Florida
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Drive to RDS from Shillelagh

I would like to know if there is an easy route to get to the RDS from County Wicklow. We will be in a cottage near Shillelagh, and were considering taking the train rather than driving, because I didn't want to get into heavy traffic if possible. I have driven in Ireland before, but have avoided all larger cities (especially Dublin) because of the traffic and close proximity of buses and such. Is there a "back way" or easier route to take from Shillelagh to the RDS? Google maps can only tell you so much.

14 replies to this topic
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,948 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive to RDS from Shillelagh

What side of Shillelagh ?

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive to RDS from Shillelagh

When are you planning to travel? You really could get stuck in traffic if it's early morning coming into Dublin. Otherwise I'd stock to Google maps and come up the N7

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,948 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive to RDS from Shillelagh

Actually , forget sides , the easiest lane and turn-off way is probably Via Aughrim , Rathdrum and onto the M11. You have mainly motorway or dual carriageway most of the way to Donnybrook, where you veer off for Ballsbridge.

Niceville, Florida
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive to RDS from Shillelagh

We are planning to travel to the RDS by car on Thursday, leaving the cottage near Shillelagh at about 7 AM. We need to be at the RDS no later than 9:30 AM. But have considered driving to Wicklow and taking the train to Pearse station and a cab from there to RDS. Have one partially disabled person, so need to avoid long walks. Have heard the train route from Wicklow is beautiful. Also wondering if taking train and have a disabled placard, can we park free at train station, and how safe would car be?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,948 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive to RDS from Shillelagh

Car should be fine , just don't leave luggage etc. On display . Yes , you should be able to park for free, presuming you get a space .

Shillelagh is lovely . Ask the locals to direct you to the Dying Cow pub, it is truly unique .

The Farmshop café in Tinahely is good for a light lunch .If you want more rib sticking good , Murphy's in the Square is the place to go .

You will be close to Rathwood Home and garden centre which is great for food and a browse and is literally next door to the Chocolate Garden factory and shop.

That early morning train will be very busy , I hope your party can get seats .

Niceville, Florida
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive to RDS from Shillelagh

Thank you so much Harvey. You went above and beyond. It is very much appreciated. I will be sure to check out the Dying Cow Pub (sounds lovely)...and your other suggestions as well, as we will be there for a week. Love all your suggestions. Do you know if you can reserve seats on the train if you book online? I was able to do that a few years ago. Also any good Irish breakfast eating places would be appreciated.

Edited: 15 October 2017, 22:38
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,948 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive to RDS from Shillelagh

Yes to reserving seats, though not always respected , same applies to special needs parking , but do reserve . Can't help with breakfast, sorry . If we have horses competing , we usually bring our own or invade a friend's lorry .

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,948 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive to RDS from Shillelagh

Yes to reserving seats, though not always respected , same applies to special needs parking , but do reserve . Can't help with breakfast, sorry . If we have horses competing , we usually bring our own or invade a friend's lorry .

Niceville, Florida
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drive to RDS from Shillelagh

We are considering the DART from Greystones to Sandymount route, but not sure as to parking at Greystones. Is is nearby the station and do they have disability spaces available? I tried to reserve seats online, but it says not available on Irish Rail site. Am I looking in the right spot?

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drive to RDS from Shillelagh

Unfortunately you’re looking to travel at the peak time on a weekday morning, if you want to drive would consider leaving a bit earlier.

I occasionally drive into work along part of that route. Often a drive that should take about 20 mins, can sometimes take an hour if i hit the N11 around 8.00 am, it’s very unpredictable.

The DART from Greystones would be a better option, it will still be crowded with commuters, but at least you can better calculate the time needed. There is a park and ride facility at the station and there are disabled spaces, this car park used to be free, but not sure if that’s still the case.

Edited: 16 October 2017, 02:40
Reply to: Drive to RDS from Shillelagh
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted