We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety question

Punta Gorda, Florida
Level Contributor
54 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Safety question

This will be our first trip to Ireland. Will visit Dublin, County Kerry and County Clare. Just wondering whether I should be concerned about petty crime similar as in Paris or Rome like the baby toss, found rings, etc. I know that one must exercise caution any time however some areas seem to have a pattern of certain crimes like the pickpocketing in Paris Metro. Any info will be much appreciated.

17 replies to this topic
Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
386 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Safety question

I'm a regular traveller to Ireland and my advice would be not to flash cash and jewellery, to beware pick pockets especially on Grafton Street especially around tight areas where buskers cause congestion, and leave nothing in your car else it will be taken other than that you can relax.

County Londonderry...
Destination Expert
for Belfast, Northern Ireland, County Donegal
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Safety question

"The only time we were a little apprehensive was in Derry where everything seems to close done in the city by 6:00pm. I know you are not going there so no issues."

Derry is as safe as any city. Like any other town or city there are areas where crime is more likely to happen, but not in the touristy parts. Common sense plays a big part in this. Dark,quiet unlit areas with narrow streets and very few people around are places to avoid in any built up town.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Safety question

Yes Tony the walled city was very bare at 6:30PM when we had dinner in a little restaurant just outside the walls (can't remember it's name ) and there was only 6 of us in the restaurant. When we came out it was dark and we had to walk up the hill to our B & B accommodation very daunting with no one around where the walled city was a mass with people during the day.

PS I could NOT find anywhere else to eat except the fish and chip shop up the hill we had the next night as we saw it on the way down on night1.

County Londonderry...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Safety question

I know what you mean about the times. You were in the city, more or less the business part of the town shops & offices etc, by the sound of it. There are many restaurants and cafes in the areas just beyond here. Obviously I'm not sure where you where or stayed exactly, or where you went, but nigihtlife in Derry is very good and eating places from Indian, Lebanese to local food are abundant. I hope it hasn't put you off returning to the city.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Safety question

Stayed at the serendipity House B&B ( Malborough St) wonderful spot with views to the walled city. Walked done B527 (Creggan St then became William St to just outside the walled city. It's a long way from Australia so it was our one and only trip saw all through the walled city the peoples gallery (the Bogside Artists) all the Murals etc had a ball there. No problems at all.

County Londonderry...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Safety question

Glad that you enjoyed it and coming that far it wasn't a wasted trip.

NJ
Level Contributor
176 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Safety question

I felt very safe while in Ireland. I ventured out a few times on my own, and was perfectly comfortable.

I carried a Travelon cross body bag during our trip. ( I actually use it at home, too as an everyday purse). It has locking zippers, RFID compartments for your CC and Passport, the strap can be attached to a chair when sitting at an outside cafe, etc... The strap also has a mesh wire sewn in preventing it from getting cut and grabbed. Maybe a little over board, but it was a great day bag, too. Lots of compartments, place for a water bottle, camera, etc...

There are a lot of different brands of these types of bags, might be worth looking into.

Reply to: Safety question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted