We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin Belfast and Atlantic Way

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
100 posts
8 reviews
Dublin Belfast and Atlantic Way

We have 8 days in Ireland and following a 21 hr flight from Perth Australia will base ourselves in Dublin for the first 3 days. Thinking perhaps the first half day then day 2 in Dublin and then maybe catch the train to Belfast (return) for the next day. From there we might hire a car & drive to Cobh via Youghal. We have heard Mizen Head is worth a visit but it seems a bit of a hike out to the peninsula, how long would this take us? Then on to Killarney for the next two nights, & do the ROK. My husband is a keen amateur pilot so he may be interested to see the Foynes Flying Boat museum, Cliffs of Moher and on to Doolin And/or perhaps Galway the following 2 nights, Final day visit Kylemore Abbey/Connemara , before heading back to Dublin airport to stay the night as we will have a 6.30am (groan) flight to Brussels the next morning. Does this sound feasible or too much driving? Any help and advice will be very much appreciated.

Best Seller
Cliffs of Moher Tour Including Wild...
1,275 Reviews
from US$ 52.70*
Best Seller
Northern Ireland Highlights Day Trip...
1,059 Reviews
from US$ 76.20*
Best Seller
Cliffs of Moher, Wild Atlantic Way...
368 Reviews
from US$ 46.90*
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,992 posts
205 reviews
1. Re: Dublin Belfast and Atlantic Way

I would cut Belfast from your itinerary; everything else you want to see is South.

To drive from Belfast to Youghal is 5 hours min without even stopping for lunch. That might as well take up a whole day.

I'd advise you stick to a southern route.

County Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for County Cork
Level Contributor
2,977 posts
133 reviews
2. Re: Dublin Belfast and Atlantic Way

I agree. Also getting the car repatriated back to Belfast from I presume Dublin is going to cost you as well since the two cities are in two different countries.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
16,008 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: Dublin Belfast and Atlantic Way

I read it as a day trip (return) to Belfast from Dublin and back to Dublin by train.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,499 posts
188 reviews
4. Re: Dublin Belfast and Atlantic Way

Way too much driving for me. Cut the trip to Belfast and possibly the Galway / Connemara bit as well. Plenty to see in counties Kerry and Clare without belting it about.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
10,734 posts
226 reviews
5. Re: Dublin Belfast and Atlantic Way

Or just cut the southern half of the country and stay north of Dublin and Galway.

Hire your car in Dublin drive to Belfast then travel along past the giants causeway and alongbiver to Derry - into Donegal down to Sligo and Mayo.

http://www.thewildatlanticway.com/stages.html

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
4,431 posts
31 reviews
6. Re: Dublin Belfast and Atlantic Way

“ Mizen Head is worth a visit but it seems a bit of a hike out to the peninsula, how long would this take us? ”

10 minutes each way.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
100 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: Dublin Belfast and Atlantic Way

Many thanks for all your advice. Yes fuschia2014, it was just to be a day trip on the train to Belfast. Mizen head looked so much further, I should’ve investigated that further 🤦🏽‍♀️ We are very much looking forward to our trip to your fair Isle next year.

8. Re: Dublin Belfast and Atlantic Way

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2018, 09:47