We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need a lot of advice /starting point

Clayton, North...
Level Contributor
126 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
Need a lot of advice /starting point

I'm not even sure where to start. We are tentatively planning to go to Ireland mid April for about a week. I think Raleigh Durham airport flies into Dublin. We will rent a car and wander. We are mostly interested in the scenic areas, not so much cities or shopping. I have a tendency to want to see everything! All the online info is either pretty contradictory or want to steer me to cities. For somebody who drives 120 miles or so each way for a day trip pretty regularly, driving isn't a problem. Suggestions for cliffs, water, national parks, good hiking, etc? I'll take any advice on itinerary too, I'm not entirely sure of driving distances between the most gorgeous places. I'm sadly ignorant about Ireland and would love to fix that.

I can easily drive to Washington DC if that gives us a better airport to fly into and the week can be a bit longer if need be. I just don't know where to start.

I'm sorry if this is vague, as I get some ideas I'll be able to pin things down better.

29 replies to this topic
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
16,673 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Need a lot of advice /starting point

Soonas,

This Sunday my friend & I were on Inishbofin Island and walked the Cloonamore Loop, we picked & ate blackberries out & back.

Kesh

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Need a lot of advice /starting point

LOL Soonas! That is what I get for growing up a 'city girl'! Oh Kesh, we will be doing that walk on our trip after next, DH is going to be quite happy....with stained teeth!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,673 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Need a lot of advice /starting point

Akandal,

Stayed in your favorite town a few nights before & after The Food Festival Weekend on Inishbofin.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g65866…

Kesh

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Need a lot of advice /starting point

Very nice Kesh! Longing to be back, it is breaking my heart a bit that our next trip won't see us calling there but I feel like we have to do service to the southern bits before we go back 'home'!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,933 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Need a lot of advice /starting point

Anakandal, you will just have to move here full time !

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Need a lot of advice /starting point

I am ready, that is my retirement plan (hopefully DH will agree!)...but am 47 so have more time to put in!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,673 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Need a lot of advice /starting point

akandal,

O'Dowds on Thursday for Breakfast, (Smoked Salmon & scrambled eggs) it was an absolutely glorious day.

Kesh

Clayton, North...
Level Contributor
126 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Need a lot of advice /starting point

That looks like what we will be doing to! RDU to NY to Shannon. Thanks!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Need a lot of advice /starting point

Well, we are frequent visitors from Canada, also used to driving long distances, so simply keep in mind that Ireland has very good highways that get you to un-touristy areas like Donegal, Sligo etc in about 3 to 4 hours. I say non-touristy because tour groups usually cannot afford the time it takes to get everyone up there, but in a rental car, you are the boss, the scenery anywhere will give you a memorable trip, a week I might add is a bit short so try to head to one county location that you research online, then drive to it, as an example the Dingle Peninsula (find th exact area with a Google search) was where parts of the Star Wars was filmed, of course no sets there now, but the scenery is beautiful. An area in the south

Reply to: Need a lot of advice /starting point
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dublin