We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Ireland alone...what should I know?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling to Ireland alone...what should I know?

Hello everyone. I've decided that I want to go back to Ireland and visit. I went in 2001 with a friend, and had the most amazing time of my life. I want to go back, however this time, I have no one to go with. Can anyone give me any advice/suggestions on what I should know about traveling to Ireland alone? I want to go to the West and Southwest of Ireland. Last time I visited Sligo and Dublin, this time I'd love to visit places I've not yet been. I've thought about going on a guided tour with a group, but while I like the idea of going to different areas with other people, having the whole trip planned out for me is the part that I don't care for.

I'd be so grateful for any suggestions or help anyone could give. Thanks so much for taking the time to read my post. :o)

Steph

CRC
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Traveling to Ireland alone...what should I know?

Stephanie,

Check out one of the travel agencies in the US which specialize in Ireland trips. They might be able to recommend something to you. I worked with Brian Moore this time. You might also get a better rate on airfare and rental car if you book them together through an agent. Go to www.shamrock.org - they have links to travel agencies and tours.

Ireland would be great alone - the people are so outgoing and friendly. You'd never meet a stranger!

glasgow
4 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Traveling to Ireland alone...what should I know?

hiya celticfairy :) i was traveling last summer all over ireland on my own as well and have to say i had the most beautiful holidays of my life. irish people are the nicest people i've ever met (together with scottish :) you will have no problems to meet lovely heplfull friendly chatty guys. everyone i met on my trip was quite surprised by me travelling alone, it is not very common thing to do. but thanks to that i met so many new friends, i had such freedom. dingle is my favorite place. you have to borrow a bike and ride around the penninsula, it is just breath taking beauty. during the summer it was quite turisty there, but i believe in this time of year it will be fine. i am so jealous (in a good way :) of you going to ireland. i would go with you straight away! but will have to wait till june. oh! do you like irish traditional music?! i love it! it might be good a idea to check a web site with irish trad music festivals. try www.folkworld.de/frog/irlfst.htm maybe it will happened you will come across some nice festival and believe me a wee break there will worth it. hope you will have a wonderful holidays and will enjoy every second of it with a biggest delight :) take care

pavlina (glasgow)

North Carolina
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Traveling to Ireland alone...what should I know?

CRC,

I took your advice and looked into the Brian Moore agency, and have ordered a brochure. Thank you so much for the suggestion! I've also looked into www.shamrock.org, per your suggestion! THANK YOU!!!

Pavlina,

Thank you SO much for sharing your experience with me and the other readers! I've probably mentioned it before, but I'm grateful to all of the lone female travelers who've visited Ireland...it really reassures me that going at it alone will be a wonderful, life-changing experience! I don't know how I'm going to wait a year to visit!!! I'm so glad that you were able to have such a wonderful time, meet new people and friends, and have your freedom. I think that's partly why I want to go at it alone, to sort of "find myself." I've heard MANY wonderful things about Dingle, and have made it a priority to visit this enchanting place! So you're going to Ireland in June? Is this another solo excursion, or are you going with others?

I ablsolutely LOVE traditional Irish music. It's such an amazing experience to hear traditional Irish music being played, especially live. One of the reasons for my picking the West and Southwest is because of the traditional music. Thanks so much for the link for the festivals! Just happens that there's a festival in March in Co. Clare...hopefully it'll be around when I'm there in 2006!

If you're so inclined, I'd love to hear about your travels to Ireland. My email address is waterfairy33@hotmail.com. I'd love to hear about Scotland as well...another place I want to visit desperately!

Thanks SO much,

Stephanie