We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report 3- Tara Trim and Newgrange

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
715 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report 3- Tara Trim and Newgrange

We left with 8 people on a  bus Eireann tour at 10 am. This is not the busy season  Paddy our guide was great! Warm, funny and crazy about gruesome stories. We learned a lot about the fate of Cromwell and his head! He promised us lots of surprises and didn't disappoint. Again we were blessed by the sun. I hadn't wanted to leave Dublin so soon after arriving but there were several compelling reasons to do so. The tour only stopped at Trim on Tuesday, the weather was forecasted to be clear today and stormy tomorrow and we thought Gibor had to work on Wednesday. Turns out they moved it a day later. If I'd known that I wouldn't have booked a play for tonight but didn't anticipate a conference changing it's schedule.

Well our visit to Tara began with a song by Michael the book store owner, followed by a side show to explain the site. I could feel the history beneath my feet as we walked up along the hill and saw out across all over Ireland.

Next Trim castle which was grand. We didn't have time to go inside but could walk all around the grounds. We learned all about the 2001 u2 concert at Slane castle which was for  walk in ticket holders only allowed by a special act of the prime minister after being attacked by two disappointed and angry 15 year old girls!  We passed Knowth on the way which is the other site one could have seen instead of trim.  Newgrange was next. A quick tea spot was in order and tasty.(10E) for the two of us.

Well my mind was blown. 5200 years old! Gibor (the astronomer) was in heaven. He was busy calculating how the earths shift on its axis had and would continue to effect the suns beaming through the slit. He tells me that in another 2500 years or so it will cease to occur on the shortest days. The simulation is very powerful.

It is unimaginable to think that this beautiful monument was created so long ago and 1000 years before Stonehenge.  The etchings were fantastic. If your claustrophobic ( like me) there is a model in the visitor center you can "practice " going in ! The video is excellent.  Don't miss this site!  We were so lucky that the sun was shinning and there were no crowds.  A very spiritual place where clearly the builders were well acquainted with unconscious processes.   

The bus dropped us off after a great day at the spiral. We wondered around a bit ( looking for the correct converter as we needed it) and then ate a pleasant reasonable (40E) dinner at Sheries on lower abbey. Irish stew and pie for Gibor. Salad and veggies for me. We went just around the corner to the abbey  theater to see the plough and the star. Great play and great acting. Wonderful day !! Now we get to explore Dublin till Friday when we go west to Galway.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,455 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report 3- Tara Trim and Newgrange

Thanks for a very entertaining trip report it sounds like you had a really great time and the weather wasn't so bad either. Just a word of caution about tour guides, they are not historians and tend to make things up as they go along, Paddy was no exception it seems.

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
715 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report 3- Tara Trim and Newgrange

They may have been embellished a bit ! But they sure were fun!

3. Re: Trip report 3- Tara Trim and Newgrange

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2011, 11:01