We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware the Aran Islands Sweater Store and Museum Inishmore!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,353 posts
73 reviews
Beware the Aran Islands Sweater Store and Museum Inishmore!

Most visitors to the Aran Islands are there for a day trip, and this store must count on it, because I was overcharged by them in September - caught it - and they billed me the overcharged amount anyway. Now, 6 months later, they have charge me again! This time for 40 more euros than the original price.

The sweater I bought had a price tag indicating it was 79 euros then had another handwritten tag that said it was 89 euros marked down to 79, but they charged me 89. When I went back to the store, they insisted they had to put through a new charge instead of just crediting back the 10 euro difference to my card. I knew this was going to come back to haunt me, and it did! When the bill came, it was for the equivalent of 89 euros. I disputed the charge with my credit card company - and after much paperwork and digging up of receipts, they credited me the 10 euros. At the time, I expressed my fear that the Aran Islands Sweater Market still had a 2nd credit card receipt for me and hoped they would note this in my record.

Today, I opened my new bill, and there was a 119 euro charge for the sweater from September! This time, I had to cancel my card because Capitol One is calling it fraud. And, I have to dig out the paperwork again to prove to them that I already settled this matter (not sure why they cant just check their own documention, but that's another matter)

Now that I will have to do even more work to dig out a 6 month old receipt and prove once again that the item was paid for and only 79 euros, not 119 - I am dedicated to letting everyone know what a scam this place is!

Everyone else on Inishmore was lovely and generous. These Aran Sweater people are thieves!

Best Seller
Cliffs of Moher Tour Including Wild...
1,266 Reviews
from US$ 52.60*
Best Seller
Northern Ireland Highlights Day Trip...
1,058 Reviews
from US$ 76.00*
Best Seller
Aran Islands and Cliffs of Moher Day...
485 Reviews
from US$ 46.80*
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,353 posts
73 reviews
1. Re: Beware the Aran Islands Sweater Store and Museum Inishmore!

now that I found my original post about this on the Aran Island forum, I realized it was originally 69 euros, not 79 - making the 119 charge even more heinous!

Ireland
Level Contributor
145 posts
1 review
2. Re: Beware the Aran Islands Sweater Store and Museum Inishmore!

Good grief, that would make my blood boil if it happened to me. I often wonder if the staff in these tourist places have been adequately trained before they're let loose on the general public. Sometimes the customer service leaves a great deal to be desired.

I had lunch at the Avoca cafe at Moll's Gap on the Ring of Kerry a few days ago. I took my tray to the cash register to settle up and had to wait at least five minutes for the lady to drag herself over to the till. She glared at me as if I'd done something illegal and said 'Yes? Can I help you?' There I was, standing next to a trayful of food with an open purse in my hand in front of the cash register. What else did she think I was standing there for? Throughout the transaction she didn't smile or say thankyou. I think the fact I'd spent money in there must have been a terrible inconvenience for her. I probably spoiled the poor woman's day by opting to eat at her establishment.

Evening, I hope you keep after the Sweater Store till they refund what they owe you. I'm sure a note of apology wouldn't go amiss either.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,015 posts
389 reviews
3. Re: Beware the Aran Islands Sweater Store and Museum Inishmore!

Evie, I had a similar experience at the Avoca cafe at Molls gap. The lady on the till didn't have the correct change to give me and insisted that I go get the exact amount before taking my tray to the table. Like a Lemming, I followed her order implicitly. Problem for Avoca is that I'll never visit there again.

I think the altitude at Molls gap must be affecting their oxygen levels ;-))

Ireland
Level Contributor
145 posts
1 review
4. Re: Beware the Aran Islands Sweater Store and Museum Inishmore!

Bryno, I think it's the ATTITUDE not the altitude that's the problem! Avoca should take that lady down the road to the Park Hotel in Kenmare and give her a crash course in great customer service. I had the great good fortune to be able to spend the Easter weekend there and boy! do the Brennan brothers train their staff properly. The minute you step out of the car the doorman is waiting with a smile on his face to carry your bags up to the room. Any problem we experienced (and problems were few) were resolved immediately without any great song and dance. The staff made you feel like you were a welcome guest at their establishment, not an aggravation that had to be endured.

Ireland
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
127 reviews
5. Re: Beware the Aran Islands Sweater Store and Museum Inishmore!

Evie, absolutely agree about the Park Kenmare staff, fantastic each and everyone.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,015 posts
389 reviews
6. Re: Beware the Aran Islands Sweater Store and Museum Inishmore!

Have you seen the brennan brothers in action on the TV series "At your service" ?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,353 posts
73 reviews
7. Re: Beware the Aran Islands Sweater Store and Museum Inishmore!

Evie- That is hysterical - what did she think you were doing there with your tray full of food and wallet? These Aran sweater people were very nice, and seemingly were providing good customer service, as they were robbing me! I think they were shocked when I returned - they probably figured I would be on the ferry or back in Galway before I noticed the overcharge - not staying on the island for 2 nights.

Luckily my credit card company is not making me pay this charge while they investigate it.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: Beware the Aran Islands Sweater Store and Museum Inishmore!

evening

next time - if there is one - buy your sweaters on the mainland - not on the islands - they cost a lot less (items are a lot more expensive on the islands). Also bear in mind that these people have Irish as their first language, not english. Some of the older don't have any knowledge of speaking english. Thats not an excuse, but I think this could be a genuine stupid error, not a matter of somebody deliberatly trying to rob you.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
9,516 posts
63 reviews
9. Re: Beware the Aran Islands Sweater Store and Museum Inishmore!

"Some of the older don't have any knowledge of speaking english"

whales, we're in the noughties, not the 30's or 40's of the last century. Show me one Irish person of any age who doesn't know English and I will bow down in deference.

Yes, I do agree that Aran jumpers are probably cheaper on the mainland but people on the Aran Islands have to make a living, too.

This doesn't excuse evening's experience.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
10. Re: Beware the Aran Islands Sweater Store and Museum Inishmore!

clauds

I don't know if you have spend any time in the Gaeltacht areas of Galway, Connemara and the Aran Islands but the older people only speak in Irish and yes it is true, some of them don't know english. It's not as "unbelievable" as you think. Check it out.

and yes, they do make a living - the sell their wares to the mainland who charges cheaper for them.

Edited: 08 April 2010, 21:26